Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building stash and manual pump use question

Default Building stash and manual pump use question

Hi ladies,

I'm trying to build up my stash a bit for a few reasons--currently I have around 100oz (about 4 days) stored, and would like to have enough for a full week or more. I have been lucky enough to have my travel for work shortened, but may have some longer trips coming in January of next year.

I pump just enough for him to take the next day, usually I only end up with 2-3oz extra each week

I don't need to build supply, just some extra milk, so I was thinking of using a manual pump at night before bed. I have a Double Electric, but don't really feel like messing with all the parts especially because I clean it and get it ready for the next day as soon as I get home from work--I don't want to have to wash it again!

Are manual pumps worth it when I already have an electric? And will these little sessions at night even do anything in your opinion?

DS is 9mo old currently--I'm also not sure what a baby's milk intake becomes once they hit 12mo. I would like to continue breastfeeding beyond 12mo and not sure what that looks like in terms of daily oz, number of feedings etc...but i guess that's a different topic for down the road!

Thanks!

Default Re: Building stash and manual pump use question

Manual pumps tend to be a lot less effective than electric pumps. Nevertheless, I think it's an excellent idea to purchase one for one use, or as a back-up just in case your regular machine breaks down or gets forgotten somewhere. I don't know if you should expect to get a lot using the manual pump, but it sounds like you're not looking for that much milk, so maybe using a manual to get an oz or two of milk per day would be worth it for you.

At 12 months, a lot of moms start weaning themselves off of pumping, and just rely on their babies to keep supply up by nursing. As long as you're nursing 3-5 times a day, nursing is still covering most of your baby's needs for "dairy". Of course, with a younger baby you want to nurse on the high side of that 3-5 number, whereas with an older toddler you can wean down to the lower end.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had to go back to work and I built my supply by feeding off one breast and pumping the other .I have used both but i feel my electric does best . My bb will get full off just one so u might try that, I get about 2 to 3 4oz bottles every 12 hrs. I also started taking fenugreek, it worked wonders on increasing my supply

Hi Stonesmom, have you tried the manual pump yet, or are you just considering it before purchasing?

I have a Medela Harmony (their manual pump) that the hospital gave me when I delivered. I also have a double electric which I use at work. I much prefer the double electric for when I really need to pump. It's efficient, fast, and hands-free with a pump bra. The Harmony is OK in a pinch, but really just as a hold-over until baby nurses or I can use the electric. In the same amount of time that the double electric can get me 6 oz, the Harmony gets me about 2 oz, and it's physically tiring for your hands (you are squeezing the pump handle non-stop for 10-20 mins - even swapping hands frequently, they can get a little crampy). So here are the times I have found the Harmony useful:

-Hubby and I went on a date night while grandmom watched LO, and I used the Harmony in the car while driving from movie to dinner, to relieve a little pressure
    -If my daily pump yield is an ounce short for LO's daycare bottles, I can sit myself on the couch at night with the Harmony and get enough to make up the difference
    -Take it with me when I think I will be somewhere just long enough to need to pump a little but unsure of the logistics that might be available there (for example - a half day training; at the hospital waiting for a procedure - both those times I tossed the Harmony into my tote bag and I ended up using it in a bathroom)
    -Bring it when we travel as a family, on the off-chance that I need to express a little milk for a bottle for LO (since I don't like to take the electric if I don't have to)

I am surprised that the Harmony retails for so much ($30!), so I don't know if I would buy it if I hadn't gotten it for free from the hospital (well, "free" for the low low cost of my delivery!). I haven't tried the Ameda hand pump but I think it retails for even more. And if I were trying to pump every day to build my freezer stash, I personally would find the physical use of the manual pump to be more annoying than setting up my electric -- with less bang for your buck in terms of pump yield for your time input. But that's a personal choice based on how you weigh those factors.

One last thought -- how are you at hand expression? Sometimes I find that I can manually express as much milk through hand expression as the Harmony does, although I have to pay a little more attention to what I'm doing. If I were only trying for an extra 1 oz/day I might just hand express it each night ... no purchase necessary, no parts to wash!
    Last edited by @llli*mercystreet; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks ladies!

I got the Medela Harmony, just to have a back up and to use at night, like I mentioned, to get a few extra ounces each day. I don't need help building supply, I just want some extra to store.

Maybe it's Beginner's Luck, but I've used the Harmony twice now and have gotten 2.5oz in about 7min each time! I may have gotten more if I had kept going! I also had an all day conference today and was able to sneak away and manually pump more discretely than with my usual double electric set up.

I definitely agree the electric is more efficient, but I'm seeing they the manual has its place!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    At 12 months, a lot of moms start weaning themselves off of pumping, and just rely on their babies to keep supply up by nursing. As long as you're nursing 3-5 times a day, nursing is still covering most of your baby's needs for "dairy". Of course, with a younger baby you want to nurse on the high side of that 3-5 number, whereas with an older toddler you can wean down to the lower end.
    Mommal, I have SO many questions about pump weaning and what the 12mo transition looks like, as well as the extended breastfeeding relationship
    I will definitely be back with more questions as it gets closer!

Buy an extra set of flanges/valves. Keep one in your bag or at work. You can toss the extra set in the sink after that last pump and zip up your bag and set it by the front door. Wash them with the others the next night or with breakfast dishes.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

I like my manual for backup. I agree that it's also more discrete. It's more like nursing that way -- you can slip it under your shirt without much fuss, noise, or attention. Granted I'm a public health student, so folks are pretty down with breastfeeding but I've managed to use my manual pump in the library during a group meeting, which I would not be comfortable doing with my double electric.

I have an electric national(I´m from Argentina) and a manual Avent. I still get more or less the same w/ both...or more with my manual. I this normal?
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lupejazz View Post
    I have an electric national(I´m from Argentina) and a manual Avent. I still get more or less the same w/ both...or more with my manual. I this normal?
    Yes, some moms respond better to manual pumps. It's a little unusual, but not abnormal.

Where are you in Argentina? It's one of my favorite countries to travel in!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"