Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: butt numbness

Question butt numbness

my son is 4 weeks old, and has been actively nursing(not comfort sucking) since 130 this afternoon(it is now 615). this constant eating is a trend with him a few times a week. everytime he starts to dose off i pull him off and make him burp and he screams at me and acts like i am trying to starve him to death. Am i doing something wrong here? when it started at week 2 i thought, oh this must be that growth spurt they all talk about, but its more like 3 days on, 3 days off. Is he a "lazy nurser"? I am seriously going out of my mind, every 3 days for the last 2 weeks i get nothing done, i eat horribly(crackers one day) and he screams if i put him down to go to the bathroom, and forget a shower. can i prevent this by giving him a bottle of EBM?
    please give me suggestions, because my butt is going numb from sitting here nursing all day!LOL
    tia
    gabby

Default Re: butt numbness

I don't know how to avoid him eating so long (I guess it isn't a bad thing!) but you could switch up your nursing position. Put on a movie and nurse laying down maybe...it would save your bottom if nothing else!

My DS1 used to nurse for an hour and a half and I thought that was a long time. Good luck!

My now-9-MO was the same way for a while there. After a while I just gave in to it and watched a lot of movies. Not so bad, looking back on it! It seems really tough when you're in the thick of it, but it really does get easier. Once she hit the 2 month mark, I remember thinking "I can do this." Before that, and especially up to the approx 6 week mark, every day was an uphill battle for me.

I also found that my DD was an especially strong comfort sucker. I lasted about 2 weeks before I started giving her a pacifier when she finished eating. I could tell when when she was done and just sucking for comfort and would pop the pacifier in. It really made a difference for us. She never had any nipple confusion (maybe we were just lucky). I know pacifiers are one of those things everyone has an opinion on, but if you're not totally opposed, it really helped us! Or maybe you could encourage thumb sucking if you think he's just wanting to suck, not necessarily eat. Just a thought.

Haha - this sounds just like my life for about the first 2-3 mos. with my daughter! She loves to eat, suck and just be close. For the first 8 weeks, I couldn't even put her down to go to the bathroom without her screaming bloody murder for the next half hour or so. So, I just lived life in my recliner for those first couple of mos. - she mellowed out a lot at about 8 weeks. (Oh, she'd suck and sleep the day away, but then when the evening came, I'd have to do laps around the house because she was so fussy and wouldn't let me sit down - so tempermental!)
    What I found really helpful was to have my husband set me up in the morning - he'd put snacks, the phone, the remote control, a few magazines, water, and anything else I'd need for the day right there by my chair. Then, if I couldn't move for the rest of the day, it wouldn't be quite as bad as if I was sitting there hungry or bored. Oh, and I recommend books to pass the time too - I read Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner - it's about 4 first time moms and it's hilarious (although there's a few sad parts too).
    Good luck - it will end sooner than you think!

Oh, and there were a few times that DD was still hanging on eating away when I went to the bathroom. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do, but you gotta do what works in those situations!!!

Haha - I've used that trick too! I agree - not easy, but it's better than holding it all day!

Gabby:

If you haven't already you may want to buy a sling that will help you move around a bit & your son can still stay latched on. I never had a constant eater but have heard that slings are essential for those babes that love to eat!

Good Luck!