Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to go from here with 9 month old?

Default Re: Where to go from here with 9 month old?

Thank you all for your replies and reassurance.

Meg, I suppose my concern is that her lack of interest in nursing will translate to a lack of interest in solids and so forth. I try to trust and believe that a child will eat enough to grow, but it's hard for me to have that trust (I'm the one with an ex-26-week preemie who was diagnosed with failure to thrive and had a feeding tube for 3 years!). One of the first signs of his troubles was that he would scream through feedings and we had to ultimately wait until he fell asleep and feed him then. (Thickened expressed breastmilk because he aspirated thin liquids.) We still have no idea why he fought his bottles so much. With his many medical issues, we were in a very medical frame of mind about his feedings, also...and his bottles were scheduled and measured to the milliliter. Maybe we were feeding him too often? I have no idea. All I know is that dreamfeeding is all he would do...and he ended up losing weight and getting a feeding tube.

So, yes, now that I think about it, I guess that is where my fears around dreamfeeding come from. :-/

Hi mama, I didn't know about that history, I can see why you would be anxious about feeding. And maybe there's no way around that. But I do think a healthy 9 month old who has gained appropriately, is meeting milestones and so forth is a very different situation from a 26-week preemie with a lot of medical problems, you know? But I do see where you're coming from.

Oh yes, I definitely agree. It's just so hard to relax and trust that she'll grow out of this phase and become an interested eater. This phase has lasted a long time for her...she started getting really distractible around 4 months!

It also makes it hard because she's a petite girl. She hasn't been weighed since 6.5 months, when she was 15.5lbs. Her 9 month check up is looming the beginning of April and I'm super nervous. Weight checks were never a happy time with my son (and, even though he's now off of the feeding tube and eats like any other 4 year old boy, he's still skinny and tiny and a slow grower). I'm okay with having small kiddos...just hoping our doctor doesn't have issues with it.

Well, we just our one-year checkup a couple days ago. All my kids have dropped percentiles as they've gotten older and sure enough that was the case with this one too! Fortunately my pediatrician is laid-back about it. There's nothing wrong with being petite!