Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go from here with 9 month old?

Default Where to go from here with 9 month old?

I've posted many times about how laid-back my daughter is about nursing. Basically, I proactively offer nursing because she cues so infrequently. She currently is at the breast 9-10 times per 24 hours. However, the past several days she has very obviously not wanted 2-3 of those sessions. Since she is getting older, should I start offering less?

On a related note, I am on domperidone and contacted Dr. Newman about weaning from it. He recommends waiting until baby is well established on solids before attempting to wean from Dom, just in case milk supply drops - so you can use solids temporarily to hold baby until milk can be boosted back up. Well, my daughter will be 9 months old on Thursday and takes no measurable amounts of solids. She'll accept 2-3 bites of yogurt or sweet potatoes, but that's it. I know breastmilk is everything before 1 and food is just for fun and practice, but in this specific situation (given what I mentioned about her refusing BF so often), should I try to ramp up solids and cut back a bit on BF so I have a chance of weaning from the Dom?

Her appetite seems almost low at times, so I'm really curious about what her weight check will show at her 9 month check up. It's in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: Where to go from here with 9 month old?

A prime example of her lack of interest in nursing: today I nursed her throughout her nap (the best way to get milk into her is dreamfeeding), which was from 1-3. She was on and off both breasts a couple times each, so probably 4 letdowns (not that I have any idea how much milk that actually is). Anyway, I just offered her to nurse at 6:00 (I usually offer a bit earlier, but thought I'd see if she nursed better with more of a break) and she mayyyyybe actively swallowed for 2 minutes on each side. I switched her back and forth, tried other positions, etc. She's DONE. She was swallowing when she pushed away, so I don't think it's a supply issue.

Her diapers are always ok - not awesome and super heavy everytime, but heavy enough according to the kellymom 4-6T test. Maybe I should just pop her in for a weight check this week instead of waiting til her checkup. I'm just trying not to be so anxious.

She simply does not want to nurse more. She would, if she weren't getting enough, wouldn't she?!

PS: we always nurse in quiet, dim rooms.

My DD turns 10 mo on Thursday. It's been real hard to nurse this month, she just a wants to play and discover and crawl everywhere she can... She actually dropped a couple of nursing sessions (and I freaked out when I realized it as I posted on this forum), but she seems fine to me. She's happy most of the time.

Is your baby acting normal? Do you feel like there's something wrong with her?? She is probably getting what she needs!

She seems fine otherwise. Happy, interactive, doing new things all the time. I suppose with her long nursing sessions through 2 naps a day, plus her 3-4 sleepy nursings overnight...these mini sessions aren't a big deal? Part of me wants to know if she would nurse better awake if I didn't dreamfeed her through naps and overnight (those are sort of dream feeds - she stirs around in her sleep and I nurse her before she fully wakes up)...but I'm kind of scared to find out.

Another feeding example that worries me: this morning she fed (while mostly asleep) around 5:30, then I offered her to nurse at 8:15 (fully awake) and she was almost totally uninterested. Maybe 1 minute of swallowing. Then she showed sleepy signs at 8:45, so we went back in and she nursed down and has been nursing on and off during her nap. She only nurses well when sleepy or asleep!

This thread has become me worrying about feedings again - but I do still wonder about the question of scaling back nursing to increase solids for weaning from Dom?

Hi mama, some babies are just dreamfeeders. Look around on the forums and you will find other examples. And 9 months is such a distractible age that babies who weren't previously dreamfeeders become dreamfeeders, at least for a while. My baby was definitely drinking a lot more at night at this point.

I don't think you should scale back on nursing right now. Before age 1, breastfeeding is the primary source of nutrition. Your baby's solids intake is really very normal for this age. She's just getting used to new tastes and textures and developing the skills she needs to feed herself. Of course, you can continue to encourage that, but before age 1 it's not realistic to expect that solids will satisfy a substantial portion of her nutritional needs. Even then you are just starting a GRADUAL transition, where solids initially may make up 20 or 25% of her intake, and then slowly ramp up to the point of eating three meals a day plus snacks, with breastmilk supplementing solids rather than the other way around. (It's also important to know that babies are really variable in how quickly that process happens - some get there early in the second year, some much later). With regards to weaning from Dom, I think I would ask Dr. Newman to clarify what kind of timeline he had in mind. Maybe he was suggesting waiting a couple months until baby is eating more solids. If the concern is about supply dropping too low, then it doesn't make sense to scale back on breastfeeding in order to wean from the dom, because scaling back on the breastfeeding will cause your supply to drop, you know?

I wouldn't suggest pushing the solids or trying to scale back on the breastfeeding at this point; your baby isn't even 9 months old yet. Solids should not start to replace breastmilk until sometime after one year. My son didn't start really eating much solids until around 13-14 months or so. I remember being quite concerned right when he turned one that he was still relying mostly on breastmilk for nutrition; I posted on here and found out that that is normal. Going from a mostly-breastmilk diet to a mostly-solids diet is a gradual process. It's not like they turn 1 and flip a switch to where they're suddenly eating a lot of solids. So it seems entirely normal to me that your 9 month old doesn't eat much in the way of solids, and I wouldn't recommend trying to reduce the breastmilk or increase the solids at this point.

Around 9 months is also a peak age for distractability; a lot of kids don't nurse very well at that age. My son didn't seem terribly interested in nursing around 9 months and the session he did have were short, maybe 3-5 minutes most of the time. Somehow or other he was getting enough calories because he continued to gain weight. I offered frequently and he had frequent, short nursing sessions. Around a year he came back to the breast with a vengeance and he has remained that way ever since! The past few months, as he's been getting molars, there are days he wants to do little other than nurse for hours on end. I understand this is common somewhere around a year. So, if you stick with it and keep nursing, chances are your daughter will be a lot more interested in a few months! Hang in there and good luck!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I am afraid I do not understand what is so worrying-Is babies weigh gain ok at this point-are you concerned about weight gain or milk production going forward?

From what you describe, this sounds very much like a normal 9 month old. Very short nursing sessions, distractibility, nursing of and on, nursing to sleep, nursing in sleep-

If a baby is really not interested she is not going to nurse. At all! If, when you offer, she latches and nurses even for a minute, she was interested. Just not in nursing for long. No baby will nurse against their will.

There is no need to decrease nursing in order to increase solid foods. Most babies this age are not going to take much at all via solids especially if you are encouraging self rather than spoon feeding. Certainly it is very difficult if not impossible to get enough ‘solids’ into a baby under a year old to replace breastmilk or formula from a caloric or nutritional standpoint.

And I agree with pp. Many not very interested in nursing 9 month olds turn into quite interested toddlers.

Sorry I don't have enough knowledge about Domperidone to comment.

Hi mama,
    Pretty much in the same situation plus that dd is barely gaining any weight .but otherwise she is fine decent diaper pooping well. I am continuing with my galactogogues cause I still feel my dd isn't eating much though she is eating more than yours. I felt that their intake of solids is highly variable some days more some days hardly I keep offering so that she is exposed to them more and that I get the hang of it too. I try not to concentrate on the amount eaten but give her high calorie nutrient dense home made puréed food but mostly Bls currently everything is bite sized as dd practises her pincer. I find her getting hard poops if I miss my galactogogues that's my personal indicator of her milk intake. Dd has been thru nursing strike very laid back feeder but has ramped her interest past 1 month currently 10 months. Multiple snack feeds but she seems to get milk that day she just held the nipple and milk squirted out.think they get efficient as they get older