Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forceful Vomitting...

Unhappy Forceful Vomitting...

Hello ladies!

Ok so here is the thing...my one month old has been just recently (since yesterday) throwing up after every other feeding. I am not sure what it is but it is scaring the doo doo out of me! This is not the occasional spit up its a forceful vomit where he throws up his whole meal. It usually happens around 15 minutes or so after his bottle (I pump his milk and he takes it by bottle). Does anyone know why this might be? How could I tell if he has a dairy allergy or if it is reflux? He does get the hiccups quite often and they are quite strong (I don't know if this has anything to do with the throwing up but thought I would mention it). I also noticed that his poop has been firmer than usual. Could he be constipated? Would constipation cause vomitting? Any advise would be appreciated..thanks for listening.
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: Forceful Vomitting...

No advice, but I'm curious because my one month also does something similar. I've read that if they're gaining weight then they're considered happy spitters. I'm scared out of my skin for any little thing as such and not sure what to make of it. Hope you get a reply...

Forceful vomiting is not the same thing as normal spitting up. If he's still vomiting after after every few feedings, I'd recommend taking him to the doctor to get checked out, to make sure it's not pyloric stenosis (a narrow opening between the stomach and small intestine). Pyloric stenosis isn't super common, but it needs to be treated early and vomiting after feedings is the main symptom. Of course, it could also be a virus or something!

How is he doing today?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

He did much better today...no vomitting. We have been montiering him very closely and have not let him drink more than 2 ounces at a time. I am thinking that maybe since he drinks from the bottle that he was drinking too much too fast (am hoping). I have been so jumpy at the slightest noise he makes thinking he might have another vomit episode but today seems to have gone better. Maybe he caught a but. Will keep this post updated. Thanks ladies!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!