Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what is going on with my pump output!!??

Default what is going on with my pump output!!??

This morning (Monday) I pumped only 2.5 oz combined and just now I only pumped 2 oz. As of the end of last week I was easily pumping 5 oz at a time!

My baby is a few days shy of 10 mos old. Is this the dreaded 9-month slump? I was determined not to have this happen to me . She has been eating a LOT more solids lately and has been less interested in both nursing and bottles at daycare. If this continues, I'm less worried about keeping up with her bottle needs (I also have a bit of a stash and she is taking less and less from the bottle at daycare) than I am about her weaning completely. If she's only going to get a couple of oz when she nurses, is there a chance she'll stop altogether?? Help!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*sprocket; March 18th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: what is going on with my pump output!!??

It could well be the nine-month slump. Or it could be that your period is about to return. My pump output dropped by half the week before I got my period back. That also coincided with the 9 month (10 month in my case) slump. I fixed it by adding in one more pumping session, which got my output back up--not to where it had been before, but high enough to meet my son's needs. I had to keep that extra session for the next few months until I was able to start pump weaning. I don't think your baby is going to wean right now. She gets more at the breast than the pump is able to get out, and anyway, babies normally only get a few ounces of milk per nursing session. Babies often get distracted around this age and less interested in nursing and moms take it to mean the baby is weaning. Babies this age do not self-wean, biologically it wouldn't make sense, they still need the milk for nutrition. Just keep offering frequently, and baby will probably come back around in the next few months. Be prepared that toddler nursing looks quite different from nursing a younger baby--nursing sessions are often a 3 minute 'drive-by' affair with baby standing up and lifting your shirt. Every bit counts and helps keep up your supply, so keep offering even if baby doesn't seem that interested. It may also help to nurse in a quiet room away from distractions. Good luck!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Hi sprocket, where are you with your periods? Could be a pre-menstrual slump. Or a problem with your pump. Keep in mind that 2.5 oz is a normal feeding, 5 oz is a lot. So I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions about what this means about LO weaning. I mean a lot of toddler nursing is about comfort more than it is about calories or nutrition - not that they don't get some nutrition out of it but quantitatively it's less important than when they are younger. And her decreased interest can be due to distractibility, which is high at this age. How does she do with drowsy nursing, like pre-bedtime or nighttime nursing?

I haven't yet had my period. I hope it's not on the way back just yet. My baby nurses quite leisurely while asleep or half-awake. She has been nursing I think an extra time or two overnight the past few nights, too. Anyway, my output seems to be back up to almost normal levels today. I guess it was just one of those things.

ETA: oh yeah, the other thing I was going to mention is that in recent days my breasts are very much less swollen and heavy-feeling in between nursing. I know that is not a sign of inadequate milk production, but it just bothers me. I guess this is all part of the transition to a more solid food based diet and less nursing. Maybe I'm not ready for this yet! Although in some ways, I really really am. I am excited to nurse beyond one year, but the idea that I don't have to do it every 2-3 hours and I don't have to worry so much about my milk supply meeting her needs nutritionally and giving up the pump at work is all thrilling to me. I've experienced a real sense of relief even over the past few weeks as she's picked up her interest in solids and is less frantic about nursing in general.
    Last edited by @llli*sprocket; March 20th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.

It's normal for breasts to feel less swollen and heavy as you go along. And yes, it is really nice when you don't have the stress of having to supply all of baby's nutrition! We just passed the one year mark and once I manage to liberate myself from the pump I will really start to enjoy myself!