Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this a nursing strike or what?

Default Is this a nursing strike or what?

So I have been re-lactating since my baby was 7wks old. I BF until he was 4.5 wks and started back up when he was 7wks. He is now 14wks old and it has been a hard journey but I felt like we were almost back to BF completley. He was nursing at every feeding and having to have some bottles afterwards but not tons. I have started domperidone in hopes to give me that boost I need to BF without having to supplement been on it 2 wks now and seeing a little improvement. Well all of the sudden starting around thursday he does not want to nurse. I dont know what happened. He is chewing on his hands and anything he can bring to his mouth and he is drueling like crazy. He has never taken a paci but all of the sudden he is taking a paci and he is still taking bottles. But he is either refusing to nurse or when he is nursing he will latch and suck a few times and then pop off and then latch again and suck a few times and then pop off. He does this several times in a row until I just finally give up and give him a bottle which he then proceeds to suck down. I know he is getting milk because when he pops off the breast it is spilling from his mouth. I am so discouraged about this and all the hard work I have been putting in to make this possible and now he wont hardly nurse at all. I know he will still get the milk in bottles but my goal was to get back to BF and not use bottles except for at daycare. He will not even stay on the breast with the sns in use. I dont know what is going on. Please help any ideas? Is this the end of him nursing.... I am so sad about this, he was doing awesome.

Default Re: Is this a nursing strike or what?

Okay, this doesn't sound like an insufficient milk problem, if the milk is "pouring" into his mouth when he unlatches. It could be a flow issue- sometimes babies will pop off the breast during letdowns, in an effort to avoid a fast flow of milk. If that's the case, the best thing to do is to be extremely patient. Catch the overflowing milk in a cloth, and wait for the baby to relatch. Once he's hungry enough, he should be willing to do so- unless you short-circuit his hunger with a bottle. At this point, I think I would avoid bottles as much as possible, and engage every shred of patience. If he does the latch-unlatch thing fifty times before finally settling in and nursing, that's annoying but okay.

Another thing that could be happening, at 4.5 months, is teething. Teething can cause excessive drooling, hand-chewing, and a desire to chomp on pacis and bottles. Chomping on mom is also common.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is my first post. Your issue is identical to what I experienced with our 12 wk old when I began domperidone. Turns out the flow and volume was much greater than anything he had experienced prior to domperidone. He was able to adjust to increased volume and the letdown leveled off within a week. Two things helped-- 1. Hand expressing or pumping for a minute or two so he didn't get the initial gush caused by new milk supply and 2- burping within first five mins of feeding. Our son usually burped between breasts, but needed a burp at the beginning of feeding again due to new milk volume. If you are like me, you had little to no milk and now have plenty-- probably enough to store! Keep in mind he is learning to nurse all over again due to your new supply. Also I noticed behavioral changes in him before I realized how much more milk I had. I was unaware the med made such a difference until I realized he couldn't keep up. He also preferred the bottle bc we used premie nipples that were more similar to my old flow

Our kid also began chewing on hands and drooling and taking teethers at the exact same time the med kicked in. I assumed it was a coincidence and related to development. I also wondered if it was teething, but no teeth yet. We also encountered weird latching and refusing to eat after some vaccinations he received at week 11. He is 14 wks now and nursing is back to normal
    Last edited by @llli*alehakb; March 18th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Thank you both so much. So he did better last night, not sure why though. I know my letdown is strong because he always struggles once it starts but at the same time i dont feel like I am full enough because he stops sucking after the letdown and wants a faster flow so I do compressions which helps some but he never tries for another letdown though I guess I need to try harder to pump after he eats. And I have been on Dom for 2 wks but havnt seen a huge increase when I pump. I may not be taking enough what do you all think? I am taking 2 pills 3x a day. Should I up it? I have to pump at work and I pump 3 times usually I bring home 7-8 oz total between all 3 sessions. I am wanting to get more like 12-14 oz but not sure what to do to get there. I am pumping for 30 min for 2 of my sessions and then the 3rs session is my lunch break so I power pump for an hour. I have to have express after I pump but I can always get more out so I have to stop due to time so I'm not sure if I am not getting empty enough even with hand expressw or what....but I really need to increase my supply.