Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st time mom-to-be... electric or manual pump?

Default 1st time mom-to-be... electric or manual pump?

Hello! I am very eager to breast feed my LO when she arrives but I also want her daddy to be able to feed her too. I also would like to pump once I return to work. I am wondering if a manual or electric pump is the way to go for these situations. Also, when he feeds her will he just need to warm the milk in the microwave? So lost on how to get started....

Default Re: 1st time mom-to-be... electric or manual pump?

If you're going back to work a double electric pump is a must. Lots of people, including me , like the medela pump in style advanced but there are other models too. You definitely don't want to heat the milk in the microwave. That will make it way too hot and would damage a lot of the important nutritional qualities of the milk. My h uses a bowl of warm water to get the milk to the right temperature. My d likes it to be about wrist temp.

Welcome and congratulations on the baby to come!

I am with the PP: if you're going to be working more than just an hour or two a day, you're going to need a good double electric pump with properly sized shields. A double electric will enable you to get the most milk in the least time, and with the least effort. If you're going to work part-time, the Ameda Purely Yours or something in that range might be a good choice. If you're going to be working full-time, go a step up to something like a Medela Pump in Style or a Hygeia Enjoye. If these pumps seem pricey, weigh the cost against a year's supply of formula (typically $1500-2000), and you'll see that the pump is a bargain in comparison!

Definitely do not warm milk in the microwave. Not only will the microwave destroy a lot of important elements in the milk, and potentially overheat the milk, but microwaves heat unevenly- ever taken something out of the microwave only to discover that bits are scalding hot while other bits are frozen?- and you don't want to risk having a boiling-hot pocket of milk inside an otherwise perfectly warm bottle. You can use the PP's water bath suggestion to warm a bottle, or, if you're lucky, your baby will be okay with cold milk and warming won't be a problem for you!

Having dad feed the baby is a great idea, but you should be aware of the following:
    - Introduction of bottles should be delayed at least 4-6 weeks, or longer if mom and baby are having difficulty getting breastfeeding established. Babies latch differently on artificial nipples (bottles, pacis) and introducing them too early can have a negative impact on baby's ability to latch onto the breast.
    - When you give a bottle, you should pump at the same time. Pumping for missed feedings will keep your milk supply at the right level; not pumping will cause it to decrease.
    - If you get pushback from Dad or other family members about delaying bottle introduction, remind them that a) getting breastfeeding established is the number 1 priority for everyone in the family and b) there are lots of other ways for non-nursing family members to bond with the baby (e.g. wear baby in a sling, change diapers, give baths, sing lullabies, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the above that the thought process that dad needs to feed his baby to bond with him can undermine breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is something only mom can do, yet there are so, so, so many other ways dad can bond with baby that doesn't take away mom's primary job.

http://www.bestforbabes.org/14-ways-...reastfed-babes

I agree with the PP's (double electric is a must). However, if you're going back to work and plan to pump, you might want to get a manual pump as well. If for some reason you forget a part, there's a power outage, you're stuck somewhere and can't get back to the office in time, etc. You'll want to be able to pump at any time. Maybe leave it in a special bag in your car trunk for those "just in case" moments.

I wouldn't only get a manual pump. A cousin of my DH - they couldn't afford an electric pump and only had a manual. She got carpel tunnel syndrome from it. It got so bad she had to stop pumping.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yes, totally agree with amysmom on the manual. My lactation consultant recommended holding off on investing in a pump until it was closer to the time I was going back to work. Many stores have limited return policies on pumps and not all manufacturers have lengthy warranties, so she recommended waiting until it was closer to the time I would need it so it would be easier to return if it didn't work. I did get a manual pump, though, that I used in a semi-emergency when D decided not to nurse for a day. It's just a good idea to have one around for the odd emergency, but it's not really practical if you're going to be pumping multiple times every day for months.

Also, it is often worth checking to see if your insurance will cover it. I was very pleasantly surprised that my group health plan reimburses breast pumps in full.

Congrats, and good job on researching this before baby comes! I was foolish and didn't start my BF research until the baby was here, though I did have a friend who gave me her barely used Pump In Style, so I was ready to go with pumping when baby arrived.

I agree with previous posters - for going back to work, you WILL NEED a double electric pump. I have used the PIS for the past 3 months, but after returning to work, my supply dropped a bit, so I rented a Medela Symphony this past weekend - this is their "hospital grade" pump and boy is it nice - not that the PIS is a piece of garbage by any means, but the Symphony feels more gentle and has different suction that seems to give me a bit more output. If I had known how nice the Symphony pump works, I would have rented it (or possibly bought one) from day 1.

I also have a small manual pump (Avent) that is very handy for when my DD sleeps a tiny bit longer than normal - I can quickly and quietly squeeze an ounce or two out in 5-10 minutes with the hand pump. The hand pump helped me really build up my freezer stash. Start a freezer stash sooner rather than later. I really wish I could go back in time and start this earlier.

And definitely check with your health insurance for either the purchase or rental of a pump - it may be covered, or you can deduct it against a FSA if you have one. Most breastfeeding "tools" are covered by the FSA - this can cover pump purchase and/or rental, as well as milk storage bags, nipple cream, nursing pillows, etc.

Congrats on the LO coming!! My personal preferance is an electic pump, specifically I am using a Medela Pump in Style. I love it! I had a manual pump with a previous child and hated it but that was my experience. And I agree will all the other moms....DO NOT MICROWAVE the milk...I put the bottles under the faucet with running warm water. HOpe this helps...good luck and awesome decision to BF your baby...not a lot of new moms now a days choose to BF. Pumping milk for dad to feed the baby is also awesome idea. Don't let anyone discourage you from pumping....as long as baby is getting your milk that is all that matters!!