Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: subject: unpleasant...poop

Default subject: unpleasant...poop

So my son is 9 months and he has been eating solids for about 2 months and his poop is very faint smelling. I cloth diaper and its actually very hard to know when he has a poopy diaper because I don't hear him poop anymore and it happens so fast and there is no immediate odor. I can smell urine in a diaper, but not the stool. Its very weird. I feed him mostly fruit, veggies, various types of dry beans I've grown in the garden, yogurts, brown rice, and a little chicken or fish a few times a week. Often if there is a slight odor, its almost sweet and fruity. I thought solids meant horrific gag fests, not the mild surprises as I find them. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: subject: unpleasant...poop

I found when my baby eats corn (or sometimes grean beans or peas, also) it has a distinct odor. It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about, it sounds like your baby is eating nice & healthy. My baby's poops smell more when she eats more solids, and still often when she's had just small amounts of solids and mostly breastmilk we don't have the horrific gag fests hahaha, just sometimes. At 9 mo I think that's completely normal, Mama.

i only noticed a bad odor once my son began to eat processed foods, and more meat. While he ate little to no meat, and home made only there was hardly any odor. Now he is four and his poop smells like adult poop, but this only since about a year.

We don't eat a lot of processed foods and meat anymore. We eat a ton of vegitables and fruit though. I am trying to up our grain and legumes diversity too. I cloth diaper so I have a lot of interaction with the poop than many other moms...I think sticking to this diet for my son, especially until potty training may be a goal unto itself...for my sake. I grew up taking care of my oldest nephews and I don't remember gagging then either...pretty sure they just had a fruit, veggie and. Simple grains diet too... but as my sister's family grew so did the baby poop smell. I wasn't around as often then so I guess that's when piazza night and fast food came in.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

with us the processed food came once he was visiting with grand ma for the afternoon or going out with dad for pizza or other junk food i would not have in the house. And also with day care - they cook well there but on the way home we meet his friends and share their food. Guess what I am saying is once they are more mobile and about without you it becomes that much harder to control the intake. so make the most of it while it lasts. Some things he wont touch out of his own preference (like soda pop - he prefers water) but other stuff like bought pizza or store bought cookies i lost the battle.