Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: whats the next best thing now

Default whats the next best thing now

So I have low supply and my donor mom's child is consuming more of her pumped milk now that he has switched day time care Providers. I am not going to ask her to change anything in her life or her sons since we are reliant on her for the milk we do get, yet the amount now is not enough for my son to he getting the bare, bare minimum of 24 oz a day when combined with what he gets from me. My son is 9 months now and 20.5 lbs. I am doing two 'solids' meals a day for my son who always acts like he is extremely hungry and clears his tray ( about 2-3&1/2 oz a meal), then looks for more pieces of food. I am feeding him plain stonyfield yogurt, fruits and applesauces, lots of vegitables, different legumes like lima beans and cooked dry beans &peas, some small pieces of cooked fish or chicken and brown rice.

Since I 'll soon be needing to feed him more 'milk ' I am wondering if I have any options other than formula which he gags on and refuses. Can I add more yogurts and a third meal plus high calories fruits like mangoes and bananas and avacados in his daily diet or do I have to use formula? Can I do goats milk instead at this point? I really cant stand the cheap processed ingredients in formula, if its only a few oz a day does it matter that much?
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: whats the next best thing now

The advice you're going to get on this subject varies by location. In the US, the recommendation would be to make up the shortfall with formula. In the EU, docs commonly recommend introducing animal milk at around 9-10 months. If your LO won't take formula, then there's not much of can do about that. I think offering more whole milk yogurt might be a good compromise. On the one hand, it's still made from animal milk, but on the other it is somewhat pre-digested (for lack of a better word) by the bacteria that turn milk into yogurt, and that might make it a little easier on your baby's digestive system than plain animal milk. But ask your pediatrician! This is the sort of question you pay him/her to answer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"