Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply down after stomach bug?

Default Supply down after stomach bug?

I've had a nasty stomach bug for the past 3 days, but luckily am feeling about 75% better today. However, I noticed, beginning on the 2nd day of illness that my breasts were a lot softer than usual. I usually pump first thing in the morning, about 3-4 oz to keep in the fridge to mix with solids/cereal, but I also noticed that I couldn't pump quite as much that 2nd day, maybe 2 oz total. I was dehydrated, I think, for the first few days since I couldn't keep anything down. I tried to sip water and Sprite, but it was minimal. The first day I couldn't eat anything, and the day after that it was only crackers and a scant bit of chicken noodle soup. Yesterday I was able to eat some tomato cheese soup and jello with banana. I will try to get more fluids in today, as well as more substantial food. Today I was able to pump 4 oz, but still have that softness feeling in the breasts, like they're not "full."

Should I be concerned about supply? LO, who is 9 months, is not terribly interested in nursing during the day, but I will see if I can get him to add an extra nursing session or two. When I can stomach it, maybe later tonight, I will eat some oatmeal, which I usually have several mornings per week as part of my regular diet.

Default Re: Supply down after stomach bug?

It is likely your illness caused a dip in production, especially since you have not been able to stay adequately hydrated. It also may be that your production has been going down anyway since your baby started solids and is less interested in nursing.

BUT, it also sounds like your production was very good before you got ill. If I understand correctly, you are able to pump 4 'extra' ounces a day and you were feeling full until getting ill. Many moms no longer feel full by this age, or way earlier, and their production is fine.

The fastest way to build back production is to nurse more often. Since your production was fine prior to getting ill it is unlikely you need a galctagogue like oatmeal or anything else, although of course it can't hurt. You can try gently encouraging your baby to nurse more often by not allowing solids to replace nursing sessions (nurse first) and by gently encouraging nursing for both comfort and hunger.

I hope you feel better soon!

We recently went through this here and it was awful. Please know that you are not alone. The one tip I can give you is as you are able, LOTS of water. Even if you have to take it in little sips throughout the day, it will make a difference in your supply rather quickly. If you don't already, carry a water bottle with you as you go about your day. Even when ill, every little sip can count and it makes a big difference in my supply - more than anything else.

Thanks for the replies. A day after I started to feel better, I noticed the breasts were firming back up. I agree with lllmeg that my supply has been going down the past few months because he's taking in more solids. Now that I'm feeling much better (and did try to sip water or Sprite, which tasted really good to me when sick, all day long) the supply seems to have been re-established.