Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dentist info accurate?

Default Dentist info accurate?

Hi! I am currently EBF my 12 week old DS. I just got home from an emergency dental visit where I had a root canal. Also due to my lack of flossing I have periodontist or moderate gum disease. I also have two other teeth that need root canals. The dentist told me the infection from the gums and teeth can pass into my BM!!! Is this accurate information? I'm Kinda freaking out! I have scoured the web and found nothing... I don't want to do anything to harm my DS..... I'm having all my work done ASAP! But have I already done damage? Please help!!!

Jacob 2.2.04 FF due to lack of support (biggest regret in life)
    Abigail 12.7.08 ~ BF 14 months
    Nicholas 12.21.12 ~ EBF

Default Re: Dentist info accurate?

I have never heard of that. I have heard you can spread the disease that causes cavities through saliva/sharing a cup but I have never heard of that being passed through milk. I highly, highly doubt your dentist is a breast milk expert and I wouldn't personally worry about it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

That seems unlikely to me. I would call the folks at motherisk:

http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp

Ya I'm doing some research on this dentist and they may be running a scam!!! They charged mt 11k to a care credit account for work I have not had done yet! I'm like literally in tears so many bad reviews that they up charge and do unnecessary work! And to top it off he was telling me not to drink coffee (my one morning Jo) because I was harmin my baby! Like seriously!! ugh I see a long battle ahead of me with this dentist office! So bummed!

Jacob 2.2.04 FF due to lack of support (biggest regret in life)
    Abigail 12.7.08 ~ BF 14 months
    Nicholas 12.21.12 ~ EBF

That really stinks. Definitely try to get that sorted out as soon as you can. Most babies are not sensitive to caffeine in their mommy's milk. My daughter was fussy with or without it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Seek a second opinion. Your dentist is recommending extensive work and you need to be 100% sure it's necessary. If you suspect that your dentist isn't on the up-and-up, call other dentists in the area and ask for their opinions on your guy. My dentist's receptionist was the one who informed me that my DH's dentist was under indictment for insurance fraud, and was well-known to his competitors for slipshod work (my DH switched to my dentist after that!).

If your dentist is unaware that you can safely drink coffee while breastfeeding, I don't think I'd take his word about bad bacteria somehow coming out in your milk. That sounds like a load of BS to me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"