Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about work promotion - New Beginnings LLL magazine

Default Question about work promotion - New Beginnings LLL magazine

Hi, Mamas - can you help this mom? Please think about this, too: I work with moms all the time who DO NOT have access or time for forums or Facebook, and who get a lot out of books and magazines. Your answers DO matter and I am grateful to you for them, so please help if you can! Don't be afraid to be detailed about your thoughts and experiences, but be advised that you may be published (and perhaps edited a bit). You can comment here or send me a private message on this forum or email at making.it.work@lllusa.org.

Here is the question:

"I have been offered a promotion which comes with a major (and much needed) financial boost. Unfortunately, it also comes with longer hours and some travel, which means a lot less time with my five-month-old son. I’d love to hear other mothers’ experiences and ideas about what to consider as we make this decision. Thanks!"

Winema Wilson Lanoue
    Contributing Editor, Making It Work
    New Beginnings LLLUSA Magazine

Default Re: Question about work promotion - New Beginnings LLL magaz

Haven't gotten many responses and my deadline is looming (like, tomorrow) - anyone have any experiences or thoughts to share?

Ok... I guess I'll share my thoughts...

I have not been in a similar situation, but if something like this happened to me, in my current financial situation, it would be real hard to say no. However, the first thing I'll consider is the work/life balance of the new position. To me, family is number 1, and even though we could use some extra money, I would not sacrifice my family time for that. Not missing any milestones of my baby has much more value.
    Also, I would consider how my significant other (if that applies of course...) would support the additional tasks that as a mom I have (extra feedings, daycare pick up/drop off, etc...)
    And, there is always the pumping issues and supply and baby getting used to the bottle... depending on how long she's planning on BFing, the time away could impact the way the baby nurses. And sometimes if we are too busy we may start missing pumping sessions that at the end could affect the overall supply.
    I am a working mom as well, and at least for this first year of my baby, I have tried to avoid traveling or long periods of time away from my baby. I still got a raise and a bonus!
    But at the end, it will all depend on her own priorities, and it will be her decision. And it will be ok!

It's tough without more details about your position. Although not financially urgent, I decided to go back to work full-time because it kind of seemed like the only option for us the way my job works and because my DH moved where I live so my job is the only thing keeping us here. I decided, also, to continue with my overtime duties, although scaled back as much as possible (5 hours every 2 weeks most months, rather than every week). I also negotiated to work from home one day a week, which helps to make up for those days. If you can manage to negotiate anything (like working from home, flexible schedule) it might make it easier on you should you decide to take the promotion. It's very hard to turn such things down, but it's hard to be away from your baby, and I think communicating that to your superiors might end up making the situation better for you.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I would question how needed is "much needed"? Are there expenses you can cut at home? Working more hours and traveling more can come with more expenses, too; less time to cook meals from scratch, shop for sales, more eating out, more wear and tear on the car, more expensive wardrobe, etc. I know we all need money to live but you cannot get time back that you would otherwise be spending with your child. I'm not minimizing the need to work but I know plenty of people who say they need the income but they also "need" their new, large, expensive houses, new cars, dining out, recreation and expensive vacations. I'd really weigh wants vs needs and make sure you're on a good budget and then weigh the pros and cons. I personally find it worth it to live in an older, smaller house and live with one used car and have time with my child than to live at a standard most of the two income families I know live with.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks, Lovely Mamas!