Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip Tie?

Default Lip Tie?

My 8 week old son has lip tie. I suspected it but got the confirmation yesterday from my midwife. *sigh*

He is gaining weight great, and obviously nursing fine too. The only issue is that there isnt a great latch, and he always has his top lip turned in, BUT with that being said we have learned to get around the issue for the most part. And he cant keep a paci in his mouth (we struggle with MSPI and he gets really really gassy, and the only thing that seems to help is a paci).

What are the complications if any? If hes nursing ok now is it possible for things to change? Iv heard it can lead to supply issues? How will i know if it starts and what can i do about it?

We did discuss the option of getting it cut, but i just dont know if that is a road i want to go down. Im not a big fan of interventions, and if its just something that i will have to contend with for a year or so its not worth the pain/money to have the procedure done for us.

Default Re: Lip Tie?

I think it's really fortunate that your son's lip tie hasn't caused many complications with nursing or weight gain so far. So at least you have a little more leeway with your decision. My DD had a lip tie and posterior tongue tie (apparently the two together are pretty common - has your son been checked for PTT?), which I opted to have lasered when she was 9 weeks old. I was having issues nursing, and that was one of the possible causes. It did help some with her latch, and she was able to take a paci after that. I decided to get it done regardless of any nursing issues, because it was a 3rd grade tie which could cause issues down the road with tooth spacing and with tooth decay. That said, if I hadn't been able to get it done via laser (without any anesthetic at such a young age), I'm not as sure that I would have done it. She tolerated it really well, and there's been no complications since.

My niece, the same age as my LO, also had a lip tie, which was lasered when she was a little older (I think it was 4 months). She also couldn't take a paci before, and my SIL used to have to do a 'flipple' to get her to latch properly, pulling her upper lip up for her. My older niece, now almost 3, had an upper lip tie that didn't cause any issues with nursing when she was a baby, so her parents didn't even really notice it. Last week she tripped over the vacuum, and the lip tie broke. It bled a lot, and she had some pain, but basically no worse for it!

So I guess to sum up...I think it really depends on the degree of the tie, the options you have for releasing it, and whether you're willing to take a wait and see approach. If you get it cut via laser, there really aren't any complications - the laser cauterizes the area so there really isn't a lot of bleeding, there's minimal risk for infection, and tylenol is usually enough to manage the pain. You do have to massage the incision several times a day for a week to ten days afterwards to keep it from growing back. I'm really not 100% sure of the nursing implications of NOT getting it cut, if you're not having serious issues already. As long as the baby is transferring milk ok (which if he's gaining weight and output is good, I would say he is), then I think your milk supply would be pretty safe. Maybe there's a mama on here who has opted to not cut a tie that can speak to that a little better!

Good luck with your decision, and please keep us posted

When you say that "there isn't a great latch" do you mean that it feels bad, or rather that it looks bad? A latch that looks bad on the outside but feels okay on the inside isn't a problem, especially if baby is gaining weight well. And a lip tie that doesn't cause problems in the beginning is unlikely to cause them in the long run, since baby mouths grow and babies get stronger and more adept at nursing as time goes on.

The only thing I think I would do is to speak to your pediatrician about potential problems stemming from a lip tie. I'm thinking that there could be impacts on tooth spacing or speech, if the tie is severe enough and doesn't resolve on its own.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!!!

Carm3, No he hasnt been checked for tongue tie :/ Maybe i should do that asap. I have done a little research and there is a dentist locally that uses the laser, so if we end up needing it removed we will go through them. Thank you!

mommal, I guess it just looks bad? He is getting plenty lol his 8 week weight was 14lbs 9oz yesterday, and his weight before was at 6 weeks at 12lbs 12oz, so almost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. My nipples do start to feel really burned and hurt after a long night of nursing, but i assume that is normal? No cracked or bleeding nipples though.

I will totally talk to our pedi asap, and see what they say. If we are going to get it done i would rather do it sooner than later.

I just want to add that posterior tongue ties can be tricky to spot, and not all health professionals know what to look for (in my experience, anyway). There's a really great video on kiddsteeth.com that shows you how to check, and pics of what a PTT looks like.

Hmm, it shouldn't matter how long you nurse- as long as the baby is properly latched, you shouldn't be in pain either during or after nursing. I think I'd make an appointment with that dentist.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"