Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clicking sound while nursing??

Default clicking sound while nursing??

So I've heard that clicking is not normal while nursing, but my 7 week old daughter does it at almost every feeding. I do have overactive letdown (she generally pops off during letdown at times and I will spray literally 3 feet in the air as I frantically look for a towel, lol).....nursing is pain free and she is gaining well (she was 8 lbs 6 oz at birth, 8 lbs even at her lowest weight, and at her appointment last week 11 lbs). I had OALD with my son too, but didn't hear this clicking at every feeding the way I do with her. Is this something to be concerned about? If it is in fact from OALD should I be taking measures to decrease supply? I worry about doing that just yet. With my son I had oversupply till he was about 9 months old and my period came back. But I also made the mistake of pumping for a stash that never got used, and I haven't pumped once with her, because we don't use bottles. Could this be an indication of tongue tie? Or would I have pain with nursing if that were the case?
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Default Re: clicking sound while nursing??

Clicking isn't normal? Nah, I don't buy it! If your baby was clicking and you were in pain while nursing, then the clicking might indicate a problem. But I think clicking is normal for some babies, particularly those who are struggling to control a rapid milk flow. The click usually means baby is momentarily breaking suction, slowing the flow of milk.

At this point, what symptoms of oversupply/fast letdowns are you seeing, and how are you dealing with them?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The OALD is bad- she chokes and pops off crying while I spray everywhere (my son who is 2, and nursed till 20 months when he self-weaned during my pregnancy, says "chocolate milk everywhere! I guess that's what he thinks breastmilk tastes like!).... and I can start spraying randomly in the locker room at the gym after I take a shower :/ She needs to be burped often during a feeding or will be extremely gassy. I think the OS is just moderate. I had it worse with my son (probably from pumping) and had tons of clogged ducts and a bout with mastitis. He was also constantly fussy. With her it's more normal evening fussiness. She will also comfort nurse in the evening (but then start crying every time there is another let down) They definitely nurse differently- he would chug milk every 2-3 hours for 5 minutes, whereas she cluster feeds and then sleeps a 5-6 hour stretch. She does not have green poop either. I do not block feed other than using only only one breast per feeding (except during her marathon nursing sessions in the evening) I am reluctant to try block feeding beyond this because I don't want to overcorrect. I also have 5-6 strong (actually painful) letdowns in a session, and often randomly when she isn't nursing......
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Since your LO has normal poop, I think you probably don't have to do much more than continue to use one breast per feeding and try to rock the reclined nursing positions. You could try block feeding and see if it helps, but I don't think you need to! After all, single-sided feedings are just a very minor form of block feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Clicking isn't bad when you have OALD. It's how the baby regulates milk flow. They get lower and use their tongue to block spray.

Way too lazy for formula

yep! my son is round the same age as your baby, and he clicks alllllll of the time, no pain like you. just... boobs that spray milk like a water geyser lol. ive been trying to block feed to handle the OALD but so far its not much of a difference.

My younger son was a clicker. Click click click. My daughter is also a noisy eater, her sound is more of very audible gulping/breathing. Both due to fast milk flow.

I found the two easiest ways to help baby deal with fast flow was nurse very often and nurse in a reclined position. If baby pulled off due the shot of milk, I would catch the letdown in a cloth and then put baby back on. I try to keep a pile of clean cloths (I like to use non-prefold diapers) within arms reach in every room.