Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike

Default Nursing Strike

'hi moms, I need help on figuring out how to end my 9 month old's nursing strike. This is the 2nd day he won't nurse and can't get him to take a bottle either. I'm worried about dehydration. I'm putting breast milk in his sold food but not sure what else to do.

Default Re: Nursing Strike

Welcome to the forum!

This link covers all the ways I know of to cope with a nursing strike: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ Keep it relaxed, keep it playful and happy. If the baby latches on for even a second, that's progress!

I would also get him to the doc ASAP. Sometimes ear infections can lead to strikes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine does it all the time. Most of the time it's teething. He wouldn't take a bottle or sippy either. Fortunately he doesn't nurse throughout the night and when sleepy. I would either syringe feed him or give him a slice of cold water melon for him to suck on. It's very juicy and the cold helps with the so gums somewhat. It may last for 3-4 days. If he doesn't take in anything at all in 24 hours and have no wet diaper, then you might need to bring him to the hospital. But if he is taking at least something, I think you can observe for a couple more days. I know you must be very frustrated now. It drives me crazy and sick with worry, but it will pass. Meanwhile, do pump to relief engorgement!

Thanks for the tips. So far nothing has worked but doctor is coming to today to check his ears. If it is an ear infection that would at least explain it. Can't believe I'm saying I hope he has an ear infection but that would at least hopefully mean when dealt with he will go back to nursing. The closest I have gotten so far is he will touch my nipple but then turns away. So hard not to feel rejected but trying to stay positive.