Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply and latch

Default Milk supply and latch

Earlier this week, my LO was sick and ended up in the hospital. During that time, he couldn't keep anything down (including breastmilk), so I was expressing and managed to put 40 os or so in the freezer. Also during that time, we were using a syringe to help give him small quantities of fluids to try and trick his stomach into being able to keep something down. Anyway, while he was in the hospital, my milk supply went down. I have never felt so empty! He tries to nurse and keeps signing for milk, but I'm not producing enough. I'm taking fenugreek and eating oatmeal and expressing/nursing frequently to try and build it back up, but how long should it take? Also, b/c of the syringe feeding, his latch got terrible. He latches on and I guess expects to not have to work to get anything. Suggestions on how to teach him he has to suck to get milk? He sucks (ha), but it's so light that I can barely feel it. He used to suck so hard it was hard to break the latch. I miss it, and it's only been a little over a day!

Default Re: Milk supply and latch

I think you have to just keep offering the breast and trust that he'll remember how to latch. If he's not nursing well and you want to maintain supply, keep on pumping. Sorry I don't have more or better suggestions!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

how old is your baby? nursing in the bath might be a really good, relaxing way to try to get him to latch well. and the only way to get or maintain a supply, as pp said, is by removing milk - so you've got to keep nursing him and pumping as long as he's not nursing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My guy turned one the end of February. I will try the bath. He usually wants to nurse anytime I get in the bath or shower! Thanks!

good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So my milk supply has been much better, but not back to "normal", and now he wants to nurse ALL THE TIME! I never deny. He has eight teeth and molars cutting. I've heard about a latch change when they become toddlers. True? Would this cause him to not stimulate as well?

I think the baby's latch really changes only when the baby is no longer particularly interested in nursing for nutrition, and nurses primarily to comfort himself. When that's the case, supply is likely to go down. Of course, teething can also throw off the latch- but if a teething baby is hungry, he will find a way to eat and that will stimulate good supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"