Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Never Satisfied

Unhappy Never Satisfied

My 7 w/o baby never seems satisfied after BFing. I BF for 45 min to 1 hr at every session which can be as frequent as every 20 mins. I cannot leave the house and know that my LO is content if I BF. I have to supplement with formula or I have a screaming, hungry baby everywhere I go. She has been like this since day 1. She has plenty of wet diapers and she looks great, I can tell she has gained a lot of weight (dr's appt next week). HELP! I'm about to give up!

Default Re: Never Satisfied

My baby did this also for 7 weeks. He would just scream if I tried to take him off the breast. Sometimes it would only be 5 mins btw feedings. I thought it was my supply, but he had good diaper output and gained well. I also supplemented from time to time but it is not a good idea. I could not leave the house either. At around 8 weeks he started eating less frequently, and now he feeds 2-3 hrs. It gets better over time as your body learns to make the right amount of milk. Supplementation interferes w/ this process, so try to do w/out if your lo is gaining well.
    Meanwhile, hang in there, you are doing great.
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Have you talked to an IBCLC or LLL Leader in person? They might be able to help you and your baby to be more effecient at nursing. It might be something as simple as changing your position or latch slightly.

I agree with the PP--get the latch checked. Sometimes baby's with a poor latch aren't able to transfer milk very efficiently.

Is she making 2-3 dirty diapers per day?

Hang in there!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

She at least has 6 to 8 wet diapers a day. I have a feeling she is not latching on correctly, she sometimes makes noises while nursing but its not a clicking sound.

What kind of noises?

She's definitely having enough wet diapers, but dirty diapers are a good measure of how much milk she's getting at this age, too. Is she having at least 2-3 DIRTY diapers per day?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I believe she does have at least 2 dirty diapers...i will make sure i count for the next few days.

Wink Re: Never Satisfied

My 7 week old does this, too. I believe you're hitting a late growth spurt, perhaps. Hang in there. I am not sure how often growth spurts are supposed to occur, but it's OFTEN. What your baby is doing seems to be cluster feeding (feeding almost constantly). They do this for the first few months at the maximum until they can get past the growth spurts. It DOES get better.

What helped me was to learn to breastfeed ANYWHERE and everywhere I go (in public). Also, I bought a very comfortable sling from zolowear and it calms baby right down so that when he THINKS he wants to eat, he could just be fussy. Walking him around while he is in the sling is the best thing to distract him, and then try to put him down to sleep afterwards.

Also, set up a "breastfeeding station" in more than one area of your home. For example, my baby and I co-sleep, so we have a rocking chair in the master bedroom with a table by it that has his nursing necklace, nursing pads, pillows, receiving blankets, snacks and bottled water there. Then I change him at the changing table right beside it and we snuggle in bed until he crashes. I have another station in the living room that is more concealed but just as operative.

Try co-sleeping and nursing him on his side while you're lying down. Support his back with a pillow and snuggle him into you. He'll probably go right to sleep. Do this while having Baby's First Classical Music collection in the background. Works every time!

Hang in there!

Pamela

mine did (does) it too youre not the only one! IMO you dont need to supplement. your babe may just want to be near you, momma!