Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's a normal weight for an EBF 6 month old?

Default What's a normal weight for an EBF 6 month old?

Hi,

My son is almost 6 months, he is EBF on demand (which is about every 2 hours) and weighs around 18.9 lbs. He looks and acts healthy and has plenty of dirty nappies.

I brought him to see the health-visitor to see if he's ready to be introduced to solids, and she said (based purely on his birth-weight and weight at 2 weeks)that he isn't gaining enough weight.

And blah blah blah. I don't speak rotten judgmental shrew, but the long and the short of it is the harpy thinks I'm starving the boy and he needs cereal.

I don't really want to give him cereal, we were planning on slowly introducing him to veg and fruit. I thought baby's got most of their nutrients from breast-milk. Should I be giving him cereal?

I wasn't concerned about his weight, he's in the 50-75%, but should I be?

Default Re: What's a normal weight for an EBF 6 month old?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monkeypope View Post
    I don't speak rotten judgmental shrew, but the long and the short of it is the harpy thinks I'm starving the boy and he needs cereal.
    I took rotten judgmental shrew in college, so I can translate. What the HV meant was "Breastmilk is inadequate and dangerous, and therefore ALL breastfed babies are starving and scrawny. It doesn't matter if they have fat rolls on their fat rolls, and more chins than their moms can count. Don't talk to ME about science or the normal growth patterns of the breastfed infant. I don't want to hear it. I am comfortable with formula-fed babies. So if these crazy breastfeeding mommies want to endanger their children by breastfeeding, they desperately need the planet's best solid food: cereal. It's highly processed, and therefore it must be good! Yum yum!"

Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with your baby. You're feeding on demand, he's having plenty of wet/poopy nappies, and most importantly, he looks and acts healthy! 18.9 lbs at 6 months is a nice weight, one which happens to land in the upper half of the weight for age charts- not that there's anything wrong with being in the lower half of the growth charts, because healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes. Statistically speaking, there are equally as many healthy babies in the 1st percentile as the are in the 99th.

My pediatrician would tell you that "Until the 1st birthday, breastmilk (or formula) meets all a baby's nutritional needs. Solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. After the first birthday, solids start to become an important element of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only breastmilk or formula to needing a lot of solids is often a slow one, with many babies remaining mostly breastfed until well into their second year of life." She would also assure you that there is no need to use infant cereal, and that you can start with fruits, veggies, and meats instead. Now, since I am quoting my pediatrician, I feel have to also quote her opinion on baby vitamins, which is: give them. They can't hurt, and might help. But that's a personal parenting choice that you should research on your own.

In short, ignore the harpy HV and keep on doing the excellent job you're doing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't speak rotten judgmental shrew, but the long and the short of it is the harpy thinks I'm starving the boy and he needs cereal.
    This literally made me

I know your intention was to get support, but thanks for making MY day, lol!

I think your baby's weight sounds great, btw. Obviously, it depends on birth weight too, but I happen to know a couple of 6-month old babies that are no where near 18 1/2 lbs that are perfectly healthy. Keep on fighting the good fight, mama!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I took rotten judgmental shrew in college, so I can translate. What the HV meant was "Breastmilk is inadequate and dangerous, and therefore ALL breastfed babies are starving and scrawny. It doesn't matter if they have fat rolls on their fat rolls, and more chins than their moms can count. Don't talk to ME about science or the normal growth patterns of the breastfed infant. I don't want to hear it. I am comfortable with formula-fed babies. So if these crazy breastfeeding mommies want to endanger their children by breastfeeding, they desperately need the planet's best solid food: cereal. It's highly processed, and therefore it must be good! Yum yum!"

Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with your baby. You're feeding on demand, he's having plenty of wet/poopy nappies, and most importantly, he looks and acts healthy! 18.9 lbs at 6 months is a nice weight, one which happens to land in the upper half of the weight for age charts- not that there's anything wrong with being in the lower half of the growth charts, because healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes. Statistically speaking, there are equally as many healthy babies in the 1st percentile as the are in the 99th.

My pediatrician would tell you that "Until the 1st birthday, breastmilk (or formula) meets all a baby's nutritional needs. Solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. After the first birthday, solids start to become an important element of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only breastmilk or formula to needing a lot of solids is often a slow one, with many babies remaining mostly breastfed until well into their second year of life." She would also assure you that there is no need to use infant cereal, and that you can start with fruits, veggies, and meats instead. Now, since I am quoting my pediatrician, I feel have to also quote her opinion on baby vitamins, which is: give them. They can't hurt, and might help. But that's a personal parenting choice that you should research on your own.

In short, ignore the harpy HV and keep on doing the excellent job you're doing!
    That made me LOL.

monkeypope, your little guy sounds perfectly fine to me! My DD is 10 months and 18 lbs. She's an itty bitty thing. But still has fat rolls, and of course is meeting milestones, and peeing and pooping like she should. She's just tiny! I still sometimes worry that she's "too small", but I just have to remind myself that the scale doesn't matter as much as the other stuff.