Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Poop

Default Green Poop

Hello,

My 4 week old has been having green poop the last 2 days. I am aware that this is mot likely him not getting enough hindmilk, but I am at a loss of what to do. He currently only eats off one breast, so I can't imagine he is not getting to the hindmilk. He is not a big eater, but I literally can't get him to eat more. He will be totally awake, but just doesn't want any more. He seems to be gaining weight, but we will know for sure at his appt. next week. The only thing I can think to do is to pump for 2 or so minutes prior to feeding him. Should I do this? Any other suggestions.

Default Re: Green Poop

If baby is gaining well and happy and healthy, there is absolutely no reason at all to worry about green poop!

IF the foremilk/hindmilk mix IS causing a problem like this, which again, is not really a problem, then the issue is baby getting "too much" foremilk, NOT "not enough" hindmilk.

So you can look at this article for tips on handling forceful letdown. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Please do NOT block feed as suggested in the article, as that will reduce you milk production and is not needed if the only issue is green poop. (Nursing one side at a time as baby is currently doing is fine.) IN fact you may not need to do anything, as again, green poop is not EVER a concern in a healthy, gaining baby.

I do not suggest pumping. Why make life so complicated? There is not need. It will also increase your milk production which is the exact opposite of what you want to do.

The easiest way to handle forceful letdown IF IT IS A PROBLEM is to nurse more often and to nurse "uphill' aka laid back. Please let me know if you want more info on positioning.

with LLLMeg. Green poops have a lot of potential causes (overabundant milk supply, allergy/intolerance, gastrointestinal illness), but they are generally NOT a health problem that requires intervention on mom's part.

Let us know how the appointment goes, and if the green poops continue for more than a week, or if you get advice to cut foods out of your diet, come back and run it by us.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much! It means alot to know I have this forum and you ladies to come to. Its just so different because my first ate a ton - she was a chubster. But this little guy not so much. I will report back next week. thanks again!!

How's his weight gain been so far? Is it normal, or low? And how's his nursing frequency? Because there's one more cause for green stools which I didn't mention: insufficient milk intake. If the baby's weight gain hasn't been up to par, or he's nursing infrequently, then I would suggest doing the following: nurse more often, aiming for 10-12 feedings per day, or more if possible, and use both breasts at a feeding.

This is probably not what's going on with your LO; I just want to cover all the bases.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"