Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increased appetite?

Default increased appetite?

I eat very healthy, generally. I don;t purchase any processed food for my home, but do occasionally treat myslef while out. Anyhow, I tend to get SO hungry mid afternoon - but then i am done eating by 6 pm until morning. Does breastfeeding increase your appetite? I read that it burns calories, but no need to ingest more food while BFing. PArticularly if you have fat stores from pregnancy. And I could stand to lose 10 lbs...

Default Re: increased appetite?

I find myself being very hungry breastfeeding.. You burn an extra 500 calories and the books I have read say you should eat 500 extra a day while BF. I try to add a mid morning snack, usually Natural plain Yogurt and I put walnuts and frozen blueberries in it and my afternoon snack a PB&J or some nuts. I try not to overindulge even though it is a nice treat ocasionally, but I have managed to lose my baby weight all but 10 ibs (With excersise) and I gained 50 during pregnancy.. I probley will hold onto that 10 until I am done BF...Thats okay small prize to pay for my baby getting all she needs from me..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I havent been given the go ahead to exercise yet...I am 4 weeks PP tomorrow.

Plus, I broke my foot 4 days before I gave birth, so i am sort of cripple now anyhow! I am not even allowed to drive, yet. It sucks, butit keeps me away from the bakery!

I eat very similar foods - PB&J is a STAPLE of mine! And cottage cheese, almonds, fresh fruit, whole grain bread. But I swear I am hungrier now than I ever was while pregnant.

Yeah, I know how you feel I was so hungry for the first few but now not so much, but I am still very thirsty all the time.. Yeah I just try to snack but I still have a hard time not eating after 6pm. I still struggle with it..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

A good late night snack, if you want something sweet...put a little splenda and some shaved almonds on cottage cheese. It tastes decadent and it isnt!

My hubby works until 9 pm so it used to be hard for me. Now, with a newborn - our schedules are so nutty that we never eat together anyhow - so not eating late at night has been easy on me!

huh
    my dr told me it was an extra 800 calories to produce bm!
    I gained 60 during pregnancy. I have been craving alot of sweets- I read in this book that when you crave sweets its really protein that you need. Sugar is such short energy. I eat peanut butter and banana sandwichs myself

I was starving the first couple weeks of breastfeeding! I 've been concentrating on having well balanced meals with plenty of protein, although I confess I also use the need to get 500 extra calories as an excuse to eat ice cream. I find I do better with having 4 smaller meals that are more evenly spaced - I joke that I have "first lunch" and then "second lunch". After a few weeks it felt like my body & metabolism adjusted somewhat so I no longer had that starving feeling. I do get much hungrier and make sure to either have snacks or to stop and get food.

i completely lost my appetite....ive lost all 90 lbs that i gained pregnant when i ate constantly! i asked the drs, both the babies and mine and they both said not to worry how much i eat....one of their examples was that women starving in africa can feed their babies.....is this true?? it just makes no sense to me at all! i still take prenatal vitamins and a dha supplement...try to make myself choke down a bananna in the morning....have like a bagel for lunch and then a big dinner....but really, during the day...i am not hungry at all......this is the way i always was though
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

What I was given to understand was that so long as you weren't grossly malnourished your bm would be the same as any other womans...

Yes, you have to be severely malnourished or dehydrated for your supply to be affected. But you need to be eating correctly for YOU. Eat a healthy diet as you feel hungry and drink to thirst. Listening to your own body's cues will serve you better than trying to cram extra calories down that you're "supposed" to eat. Well, that is if your body isn't telling you to eat brownies and ice cream

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!