Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Herbs or alternative treatments for weaning-related issues?

Default Herbs or alternative treatments for weaning-related issues?

Hi Mamas! Tis the irony of motherhood and I suppose, life itself. While I couldn't wait to be free from the pump and resume life again, my hormones are not convinced . This happened with DS so I was prepared for it, but gheesh! I must just be super-sensitive to hormones, especially prolactin and oxytocin.

DD doesn't nurse anymore (she'll be 1 in two weeks and was a dreamfeeder), so I've been pump-weaning over the last month or so - cutting out one pump session per week. This week I've gone down to pumping just twice a day - morning and night. And I'm still getting almost 10 ounces at each pump. I've REALLY been trying to do it slowly to avoid the hormonal mess I ended up with several years ago with DS. But I'm feeling it creep in (lots of anxiety, etc.). It's like I NEED that oxytocin - today I even pumped unnecessarily on the way to work because I was feeling particularly agitated and it just calmed me. What can I do to replace these hormones and ease the transition?

You'd think I would know these things - I'm a counselor. So far, I've been trying to increase exercise, re-initiated regular acupuncture, and tried to regularly do some deep breathing. I know it will even out eventually.

I almost feel like I just need to "pull the plug" (no pun intended) on the pump and just stop - logically I know gradual pump-weaning is better but I'd almost rather just get it over with.

I think I'm particulary sensitive to hormones because I don't have periods until I'm completely done lactating, apparently. For almost three months DD has slept through the night and I've gone 10+ hours without pumping - no return of menstruation even with that! So I know that as I pump wean my ovaries will start cranking up and that adds to the intensity of it all.

Sorry I'm all over the place and rambling. Can anyone recommend any herbs? Something I haven't tried? Just remind me I'm not crazy?

Thanks, Mamas.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Herbs or alternative treatments for weaning-related issu

Vitamins?

Way too lazy for formula

I'm still taking my prenatal vitamins as well as extra calcium and D. I'll talk with my doctor about what my current needs might be - thanks!

903 ounces donated.

Hi mama, you're not crazy. I remember being really out of sorts when my middle child weaned, for several weeks. Also, my LO just turned one and I'm trying to pump wean too - your post made me wonder whether that explains why I'm also feeling somewhat out of sorts now. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on remedies... but I'd be interested to hear if you find anything that works. Mainly just wanted to provide support!

Thanks I'm thinking that grinning and bearing it is probably the only option - it won't last forever!

903 ounces donated.

No, it won't, and it sure will be nice to be liberated from the pump!