Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BREAStFEEDING MY BABY ASLEEP BEFORE I GO TO BED?

Default BREAStFEEDING MY BABY ASLEEP BEFORE I GO TO BED?

Hi there,

I have a lovely 4 months old baby, Lily. I am breastfeeding her only. since about 1 months she has always wanted to go to bed at 20:00. (she would fall asleep then and have a very long "nap" so we decided this was her time to go to bed. So I bath her at 19:30 and start feeding her at about 20:00 and she would fall asleep on my breast while finishing eating. Then I put her to bed. But they recommended me to feed her one more time before I go to bed, at around 23:30-00:00 so she doesn't do the "longest stretch" of sleep from 20:00 until whatever but after 00:00.
    Doing like this, she is doing really well, I feed her at about 00:00 and then she wakes for feeding at about 04:30-05:00 and then she goes back to sleep until 8. which I think is really good.
    But my question is if is this the most natural way of doing this? when I´m going to bed she is asleep, so I take her really carefully and she feeds pretty much asleep and then I put her down and she carries on sleeping (we sleep "together" she has her little cot as an extention of our bed)
    Should I leave her to sleep and let her do her "long stretch" of sleep from 8 until she wants or is it good to carry on doing it like I am doing?
    Quick help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Default Re: BREAStFEEDING MY BABY ASLEEP BEFORE I GO TO BED?

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a great routine down. Lots of mamas do a "dream feed" exactly as you're doing. Just be ready for her to change up her sleep patterns on you! Teething, reaching new developmental milestones, growth spurts etc are all reasons that babies may change their sleep patterns. But you are certainly not doing anything wrong with the midnight feeding.

If waking the baby for a "dream feed" means that you are able to get a longer stretch of sleep, that's great!

Whether or not this is the most "natural" way to nurse at night... Well, probably not. If you were living like one of your cave-dwelling ancestresses, you would never put your baby down. You'd carry her all day, perhaps handing her off to a family member for brief periods. You'd go to sleep at the same time she did, around the time the sun went down. But I don't think you should judge your parenting by Stone Age standards. Humans are adaptable and flexible, and there's nothing wrong with the way you're doing things. It's different from the purely natural approach, but not wrong.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I do the same thing. DD2 wants to go to bed at 7:00 but we don't go to bed until 9:00. She sleeps about 4 hours a stretch. So I feed her between 6 and 7 and she sleeps downstairs with us while we watch tv and unwind. Then I wake her enough to eat at 9:00 and then take her up to her bed. She wakes again between 12:30 and 2:00am and then she's awake or we wake her at 6:00 am when we're up for the day for work. If I let her go to sleep at 7:00 for the night, I'd end up having to get up twice and feed her overnight.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Thank you very much for the welcome and for your answers!! and for your advices for the upcoming times!!!

Thank you very, very much mums!!

thanks a lot for your welcome and your answer and help!!! thank you very much!

You're welcome!