Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Holy crap! Can my iud cause low milk supply?

Default Holy crap! Can my iud cause low milk supply?

I've noticed a decrease in milk supply and I'm realizing that I had and IUD put in 2 weeks ago right after my milk supply decreased... Has this happened to anyone?

Default Re: Holy crap! Can my iud cause low milk supply?

Is it Mirena? If it is, then the answer is yes. Not for all moms, but for many.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes its the Mirena! I'm going to the doctor today to have it removed. How long after should it return if I continue to pump extra and use the herbs and have him nurse more often? Any experience with that?

I have had the same issue. I have had mirena for about a month now, and still struggle with low supply. Using fenugreek, domperidone, and pumping all the time. LO does not want to nurse now unless it's at night or when he's sleepy. Did you have the Mirena taken out? Have you seen improvement? The Doc assured me it was likely not the cause, but I'm having doubts. Please tell me you saw results after you had it out!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennavee View Post
    The Doc assured me it was likely not the cause, but I'm having doubts. Please tell me you saw results after you had it out!
    My guess is that your doctor is looking at the research, which has apparently not shown Mirena to have an effect on milk supply. In the Mirena entry in the Medications and Mother's Milk database, Dr. Hale references the research, but it sounds like he's heard enough anecdotal evidence to convince him that caution is warranted:

The contraceptive effect of Mirena is mainly based on the local effects of levonorgestrel in the uterine cavity. From several studies, levonorgestrel appears to produce limited, if any, effects on milk volume or quality.[1] One report of 120 women with implants at 5-6 weeks postpartum showed no change in lactation.[2]

The data from the levonorgestrel-only intrauterine devices suggests minimal to no effect on breastfeeding, but some caution is recommended as I've received numerous accounts of milk suppression following insertion of Mirena IUDs.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Anything with messes with a mothers normal hormone levels is a potential issue. imo. And yes, a lactating mother's hormone levels are normal because lactation is normal.

I would be afraid to take anything hormonal while breastfeeding. I definitely think the Mirena could be affecting your supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

i didn't have any problems with mirena, but i had terrible experience with seasonale - i swore i was pregnant for a week, nausea, sore nipples, etc - but i have heard anecdotally lots of people have trouble with mirena. it's not worth it, if that's you!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.