Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 1 month - spitting up and fuzzy

Unhappy Almost 1 month - spitting up and fuzzy

Hello everyone....I am no new to the breast feeding world, but I am having a first
    experience with my little son. He is three weeks old and from the very beginning a
    great nursing baby. I have a great (plenty) milk supply and i nurse him on demand.
    However for the past two weeks he spits up and gets very fuzzy after EVERY feeding. Sometimes the spit ups are ALOT...almost a throw up. I need to know if it is
    possible for a nursing baby to have reflux or colics and if so what can i do differently
    to help this be a smoother process. The sleepless nights and tiring afternoons are
    really starting to put a toll on me and this is my fourth baby...i have the other three
    to attend as well. Please help!!!

Default Re: Almost 1 month - spitting up and fuzzy

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

It is definitely possible for babies to have reflux and or colic, but I am not sure that what you describe matches either one, particularly when you have an overabundant milk supply.

Colic follows the "Rule of Threes": for fussiness to rise to the level of colic, you need to be seeing inconsolable crying/evidence of pain for 3 or more hours per day, 3 or more days per week, for more than 3 weeks.

Reflux babies can be classified as either "happy spitters" or "scrawny screamers". A baby who is generally happy after spitting up, and who is gaining weight normally, is a laundry problem, not a health problem. A baby who seems to be in a lot of pain after spitting up, and who isn't gaining weight at a normal rate, is a baby who should see a doctor and perhaps get medication.

High supply can cause both fussiness and spit-up. The first thing to try is feeding in reclined positions. When the baby nurses "uphill", gravity slows the flow of milk to the baby and results in a more comfortable nursing experience. You may also want to burp baby frequently while nursing, and keep him upright after feedings. If you're trying to stretch the time in between feeds, don't: it will only make the post-feeding discomfort worse because the milk flow will be faster and the baby will be more likely to overfill his tummy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"