Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using milk pumped at night

Default Using milk pumped at night

My son is almost 2 months old. Before I feed him at night/early morning, I pump a little bit because there's been so much time between feedings and my breasts are very full; otherwise he tends to choke on the fast let-down and/or I spray milk all over him. I usually only pump about 1 or 1.5 ounces per breast so I end up with about three ounces the next day. My question is, is it worth it to save this milk? I assume it's all foremilk and it looks very thin so I'm not sure if I should save it to use as a feeding when he's being baby-sat.

Default Re: Using milk pumped at night

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, save the milk. There's no such thing as "just foremilk." All milk contains everything a baby needs to grow and develop, no matter if it comes from the beginning of the feeding or the end. "Foremilk" may be relatively lower in fat and higher in water than "hindmilk", but it's not bad for the baby. A baby who eats nothing but so-called "foremilk" will grow and develop just fine, provided he gets enough of it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Using milk pumped at night

Oh please save and freeze any extra milk you get! I wouldn't waste a drop if I had a little overage like that!