Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding more now at almost 12 months than newborn!?

Default Breastfeeding more now at almost 12 months than newborn!?

I am still EBF my 11 month old and I feel great about how far we have come, however I'm always exhausted!
    She feeds maybe 4 -8 times a nigh which is more than during the day.
    She won't nap unless she's on the boob and getting her to nap takes at least 2 hours of nursing, playing, nursing - by the time she's asleep I feel like a zombie.
    I love BF and don't want to stop but I can't keep up - we are co sleeping, we have tried putting her in her own bed but we don't want to do CIO and generally she cries as soon as she feels us laying her down. She will keep crying or just stand up and play - no sleep. Her crib is right by our bed but the front rail is gone and our bed pushed up against hers. She just ends up with me anyway - which we both love but it means boob boob boob!
    How can I wean her at night?
    How can I get her to nap with ease?
    I'm losing my patience and feel like crying.
    Getting a babysitter and having a date with my husband is impossible as no one but myself And boob can get her to sleep-besides now I'm to tired to continue but dont want to stop.
    I just want some boob space

Help!!

Thanks xxxxxxxxx

Default Re: Breastfeeding more now at almost 12 months than newborn!

this was totally us, too. i think you know when you have to make some changes that keep you sane; it sounds like you're there! my advice is to pick the thing that you actually, most want to change, and work on just that one thing at a time. so do you want her to fall asleep without nursing? or do you want her to nap better? or do you want her not to nurse all night long? etc. those are all different things.

hugs!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

This all sounds pretty normal for a not-quite-1-year-old baby, who is probably teething like mad. As the PP said, identifying your most urgent goal is the key here, because nursing and sleeping aren't necessarily related. Is your baby still double-napping or triple-napping, or is she down to a single nap?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's a double but quickly approaching single napper.
    How to night wean??

I would NOT attempt night weaning until the 1st year molars break. That is more than probably the reason for the increased nursing. The pain caused by the two giant holes being dug out in the back of the mouth. Find your empathy and some motrin for the next 6 weeks. And THEN night wean when things are more or less back to normal.

Way too lazy for formula

Unless you have a slow tether on your hand, in which case you might not see those molars for months yet. My kids didn't get their 1st year molars until around 16-18 months.

If you want to night-wean, the Jay Gordon method is something that has worked for a lot of moms here: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"