Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ending Maternity Leave with Overnight Work Trip

Default Re: Ending Maternity Leave with Overnight Work Trip

I just realized I've got a bigger challenge while actually traveling. I use a hospital grade pump, which must plug into an outlet, and I have long travel days from the U.S. to Calgary Canada with a plane change in between. I'm just realizing I could end up going 10 hours if I can't find a private place to pump or if I run out of time on any leg of the trip.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Hmmm, maybe take a manual pump with you too just in case? So at least you have something? But can't you plug the hospital-grade pump into an outlet in the plane bathroom? I'm not totally sure but I think there is an outlet in there?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hmmm, maybe take a manual pump with you too just in case? So at least you have something? But can't you plug the hospital-grade pump into an outlet in the plane bathroom? I'm not totally sure but I think there is an outlet in there?
    I wouldn't want to count on that plug being there or working. Maybe I ditch the hospital grade for the trip and bring my PISA. Another question. If we co sleep and nurse on demand ALL night should DH be prepared with an ounce and a half per hour defrosted for overnight? Do guys keep a bottle on the nightstand all night? Our regimen works for me/is but seems so unfair to a dad when mom has to go away. No wonder the guys are so relieved to see us when we return.

i would definitely bring a hand pump as a back up. i ended up using that in my seat, under a shawl. there is no way in hell i'd pump in an airplane bathroom. gross.

re: nights, yes, have a bottle available. and they will figure this out together! it will be hard but they will be ok. for real.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    i would definitely bring a hand pump as a back up. i ended up using that in my seat, under a shawl. there is no way in hell i'd pump in an airplane bathroom. gross.

re: nights, yes, have a bottle available. and they will figure this out together! it will be hard but they will be ok. for real.
    I'm really happy that he already spends so much time with her. In addition to the here and there daddy time, he does 90 min every morning after I leave for work / before our nanny comes and the last time I had to go to Calgary they came with me and he had to do full days. We've talked about the fact that overnight is going to be a real challenge, but it's a temporary challenge and he will get through it.

Yes he will! My DH is always happy to have me back but he manages one way or another. He usually does give a bottle (or bottles) overnight too.