Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ending Maternity Leave with Overnight Work Trip

Default Ending Maternity Leave with Overnight Work Trip

As much as I hate it- My maternity leave ends this Wednesday and I have to immediately go out of town for 2 nights for training. The timing stinks-I hardly ever travel for work. My little girl will be 12 weeks and we are exclusively breastfeeding.

I have saved up around 80 ounces of milk and will be gone around 60 hours. Is that enough?

I have cut most dairy out of my diet because she does not tolerate it well. If she has to have a little formula would soy based be best?

Finally, I am afraid that she will not want to nurse after getting bottles for two days straight. Is that likely to be a problem.

I have a hygeia pump and my goal is to use it every two to three hours. I have been through the pumping routine before-so I have a lot less anxiety about that than I did when I went back to work last time. I was able to pump milk for him until he was a year old and he weaned at 15.5 months when I came back from a two night work trip and he was n
    Last edited by @llli*bensmom427; March 11th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Default Re: Ending Maternity Leave with Overnight Work Trip

Sorry about your maternity leave coming to a close. 12 weeks is too short!

The general rule for calculating how much breastmilk you need is 1.5 oz per hour of separation. So, 60 x 1.5 = 90, which means you're about 10 oz short. If your LO does not tolerate dairy, then soy is probably the best choice for a formula supplement... Providing your baby will take formula. Some won't- it tastes pretty different from milk. If you find that you're not going to be able to make up that last 10 oz in the next few days, you may want to experiment with giving baby some formula and making sure she will take it.

Is it possible to take baby with you? A lot of moms bring a spouse or a grandparent along, or even find a sitter, so that they can nurse the baby at night.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, 80 ounces may be enough. Generally babies take 24-32 ounces/24 hours which works out to 1.33 ounces/hour on the upper end. So 60 hours x 1.33 = 80. Of course if you can stash a few more ounces before you go it will give you a bit of a buffer. And/or seeing whether baby will take a soy supplement as mommal suggests - but I really think she may not need it.

I wouldn't worry too much about baby not nursing when you come back. I've had that anxiety too before trips but my babies have always nursed enthusiastically when I've come home. At 12 weeks your breastfeeding relationship is well-established.

She ended up drinking around 60 oz. She had a rough first evening and cried for hours. But she settled down and slept through the nights 11:30-5 both nights. She also started liking her paci. I am just glad the trip is over. I ended up pumping every 3-4 hours and I brought home more milk than she drank.

Tomorrow is my first day or regular work. I am a little worried about the daycare situation because she only napped 30 min when we had her in there last Wednesday. She came home so exhausted she couldn't settle down.

Hi mama, that's great you had plenty of milk for the trip! And that the trip is over now.

Give the daycare situation time. She'll adjust and things will settle down. It may take a day, a few days, a few weeks - but then she'll get into her routine there and things will get better. Hang in there - the transition back to work is hard! Especially when it starts with a trip away.

congrats, mama, it sounds like you both handled that trip well!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have a question. Do you moms who have had to travel set an alarm to pump overnight while away? I have never spent a single night away from DD. I had one work trip back in Jan where I was able to bring her and DH with me. For the next one at the end of April I can't. I have enough freezer stash so no concern there, but I realized having co slept and nursed through the night for the past 8.5 months I will actually have to pump both day AND night.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Personally, no, I've never set an alarm. Once my breasts get full enough I wake up from the discomfort (this has also happened to me plenty of times when I'm with baby, if baby all of a sudden sleeps a longer stretch than usual!). Or even if they're not that full, I'll wake up out of sheer habit of waking up frequently at night. I remember one work trip I took where I was looking forward to having an uninterrupted night of sleep. Well, I slept terribly! Kept waking up, I think because that's what I was used to.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    .... if baby all of a sudden sleeps a longer stretch than usual! I WISH I COULD SAY I'D EXPERIENCED THIS! I remember one work trip I took where I was looking forward to having an uninterrupted night of sleep. Well, I slept terribly! Kept waking up, I think because that's what I was used to.
    Yeah I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I'll sleep well my first time away from her. At best I will get to enjoy going for a run or hitting the hotel gym.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

when i traveled at 6 months, yes, i set an alarm to pump twice at night, and yes, i slept terribly. at 20 months, i took my pump with me and figured i'd pump to comfort if necessary, and ended up not pumping for 5 full days! my supply took a hit but that was exacerbated by early pregnancy + lots of peppermint to cope with nausea, so i'm not sure which actually was the deciding factor. 6 weeks later i still have (at least some) milk.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.