Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freestyle not working as well

Default freestyle not working as well

I've been using my freestyle pump since July and recently wasn't getting as much milk with it. Had to keep increasing the power level on the pump and that wasn't doing much other than making it sound louder. Borrowed my friend's old school PIS and getting the amount I was getting when the freestyle was newer. Anyone have this issue? I contacted medela but no response yet and I did get a plan from BRU when I bought it. I'm tempted to just see if I can use the plan to buy a new PISA instead. I wanted to have the freestyle because it was small and could be tossed into my overnight bag (I'm a physician who has to be on call and thus at the hospital from time to time). Anyway, if medela helped you out, did they send you a new motor, battery, or a new pump?

Default Re: freestyle not working as well

Hi mama, I've used both the freestyle and the PISA extensively. The freestyle is just not as good a pump. I loved the portability, too, but the PISA is so much more efficient that it's worth the extra weight (in my opinion). And the freestyle just craps out over time. I was without my PISA at home recently so I pulled the freestyle out and I literally could not get any milk out! Anyway, if I were in your situation, I would probably try to get a new PISA rather than a new Freestyle. I think Medela does try to be fairly accommodating so it's worth seeing what they'll do for you.

Thanks! I still haven't heard from them so maybe I'll try calling since I Had only filled out their online form for service request. If I still don't get anywhere with them, I'll see what my BRU service plan can get me.

Just called. They won't send me a cheaper product (PISA) but will send a new freestyle. I'll see what I can work out with BRU since the new freestyle won't be covered by a new 1 yr warranty so when that stops working, I'll be screwed. I do plan on having more kids and don't want to have to buy a new pump for that baby.

Hmm, that's odd that they won't send you a cheaper product. The freestyle is supposed to be their flagship product so maybe they don't want people to realize it's not actually their best product! For what it's worth, I work full-time, pumped to a year with my PISA with baby one, mostly used the Freestyle with baby 2 (with inferior results) but also used the PISA at times, and with baby 3 I'm back to the same PISA I used with baby one - just hit a year! Point being that if you end up with the PISA you may well be able to use it with the next baby.

Well, I tried to file a claim with my BRU plan online and was told it was covered by the manufacturer warranty and had to contact them. Ugg! Tomorrow I'll call the program to talk with a human. This is incredibly frustrating. I'm surprised Medela won't send me a cheaper product too.

Worst case scenario: I could get the new freestyle, try to sell it for the same price of a PISA (or close enough) and then just get it that way. My friend won't need her pump for awhile so she said I can keep using it until this gets figured out.

I like that idea. But yeah, that is REALLY frustrating. Good thing you have the backup pump from your friend. I've seen at least one person stop breastfeeding as a result of similar pump hassles (with Medela too) - they really need to do a better job with this. A pump is NOT something you can go without for weeks while trying to sort this out!