Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can low iron cause low appetite?

Default Can low iron cause low appetite?

I've posted several times about how laid-back my daughter is about nursing. She would probably only cue to eat a handful of times per day, so I offer more. I've always felt like she almost seemed to have an abnormally low appetite. Then I heard today that low iron can cause low appetite. Is that true?

She's 8.5 months old and takes basically no measurable solids. We've been offering since 6 months and she is basically uninterested. She nurses 9-10 times a day. She was full-term and has been very healthy, aside from having RSV at 6.5 months (which she fought very well). She's active - not yet crawling, but scooting around and trying to stand. Constantly moving.

Her 9 month checkup is in 3 weeks, so I plan to ask her doc. But I'm also expecting him to ask why she hasn't been on multivitamins this whole time. I do the vitamin D drop, but that's it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Can low iron cause low appetite?

Hi mama, being 8.5 months old and not wanting solids doesn't mean baby's appetite is low. 8.5 months is still really early in the game when it comes to solids - some babies don't take to solids until well into their second year! And although she's laid-back about nursing, she is nursing 9-10 times per day, which is also normal. Many pediatricians do check iron levels at 9 months or a year, so if that's worrying you, no reason not to find out the answer at baby's next visit. Did your pediatrician tell you your daughter should be on a multivit? Mine has always stressed the vitamin D drops, but specifically said baby does not need to be on a multivitamin at this point.

Thanks for your reply. I honestly can't remember what he's said about a multivitamin...

It's not really the solids that make me feel like her appetite is low. It's the nursing. Yes, she does technically nurse 9-10 times a day, but I'm always initiating and it seems like 2-3 of those sessions are very short because she really doesn't want it. I don't force her, but I do switch her back and forth a few times until its totally obvious she wants to be finished. Sometimes she barely gets through a letdown before she's finished and pushing away. Her sleepy/asleep nursings are much better. Awake is really hit or miss...

That sort of distractible behavior is par for the course with older babies. They are just too busy to nurse. And solids are still more of a game. Does your LO nurse more at night that during the day? She might be taking in a lot of her calories overnight, leaving the day free for learning, exploring, playing, etc.!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's actually never cued much, even when she was teeny. She nurses 3-4 times overnight - down for bed at 7-8pm, then again around midnight, 3ish and 6ish. Up for the day and I typically offer around 8, then nurse her down for a nap around 9, then offer again around 12, then nurse her down and throughout her long nap from 1-3. Then I usually offer again sometime around 5 and some days I nurse her down for a nap at 6(although she's dropping that one).

But if I skipped offering any of those feedings (besides the night - those she does stir around for, so I take that as her cue...although I'm willing to bet I could easily soothe her back into sleep without nursing if I chose to), so wouldn't bat an eye. Even the naptime nursings - she can easily fall asleep with my husband and not nurse down.

Well, I've never really see my lo cue for milk. He's almost 1 now and from birth, I've always nurse him on request, not demand. I'll offer every 2 hours. He usually does nurse but if he doesn't want, I'll try again later. There's no harm trying to offer often, as long as you are ebf, even though there no obvious hunger cues from them.