Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly spitting up?

Default Suddenly spitting up?

hello! DD will be three months on Tuesday and is/has been exclusively breastfed. For some reason in the last 3 weeks, she has begun spitting up after every meal - not a considerable amount - but spitting up nonetheless...sometimes shortly after eating, sometimes an hour later.
    Nothing has changed in my diet and DD doesn't seem uncomfortable after eating - she is a good burper.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Suddenly spitting up?

Has your supply recently increased for any reason? Have you been pumping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No recent increase in supply that I've noticed (If anything I am constantly worried about my supply decreasing!). I do pump once a day, at night before I go to bed.

Okay, in that case this may remain a mystery. But as long as the baby isn't in pain when she spits up, and continues to gain weight at a normal pace, this is one of those mysteries that isn't a health concern. Just a laundry problem.

I can think of some possible explanations for the increased spit-ups, including:
    - Baby is suddenly a more efficient nurser, and is getting all she needs rather quickly. However, she continues to nurse for comfort, continuing to fill her tummy past the point where she needs it to be filled. Result: spit-up. Solution to problem: time, and allowing baby to learn when to stop nursing.
    - Baby is growing more mobile. When she tries to roll or squirm, she provokes a spit-up.
    - Baby has an allergy/intolerance to something in her diet- it's usually cow's milk protein- but it's minor because it's not causing additional allergy/intolerance symptoms (e.g. malodorous poops, green poops, blood in the poop, mucousy poops, poor weight gain, excema, rash, red ring around the anus, colicky behavior, etc.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I noticed something similar in my little guy when he was about 3 months. He went from hardly spitting up to spitting up all the time! At one point we called him "the spit-up boy" (but that won't go in his baby book ). It seemed like a phase that came and went; by about 4.5 months he was over it. Never did figure it out--he gained weight, was happy. We just made sure we had plenty of burp cloths on hand, which was often the motivating factor to do laundry every other day!

Thanks, Ladies!
    DD loves to suck, so i think she is likely just overfilling her tummy