Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old possibly striking?? Need help!!

Default 3 month old possibly striking?? Need help!!

My little girl just turned 3 months old this past Sunday, and for the past 2 weeks or so she has been very fussy while breastfeeding. Well, I should say, I can't even GET her to breastfeed sometimes! Like today, for example, she had nursed two times that I can remember overnight (she cosleeps with us and oftentimes latches on and off throughout the night, so it's hard to keep track!) then she nursed on one side when I woke up for the day (one side per feeding is typical for her), then took a long nap and nursed on the other side just fine when she woke up around 1:00ish. She then took another nap and when she got up around 4 she started her fussiness and refusing to latch on. She would not nurse again until 10:30 this evening when I finally managed to calm her down and she sucked her thumb till she fell asleep, then I laid down beside her and in her sleepy state she latched on and nursed well for 15 minutes or so.

To provide some possibly useful information: She has always latched on really well from birth and did really well for the first month. Around 6 weeks or so I started having overactive letdown, which we somewhat dealt with by reclining to nurse and using only one side per feeding, and sometimes for two feedings in a row. She would get REALLY mad though about the overactive letdown and I noticed she stopped comfort nursing around 2 months old and became "all business" about her feedings. Right when I felt like things were getting better I got very sick for two weeks and could barely eat (stomach virus and then strep throat!) That was actually just the past two weeks, so I'm still kind of recovering from that. I think my supply took a hit, but now that I'm eating well again I can tell that has resolved.

All of that to say....was it the overactive letdown that made her mad and now she won't nurse?? Or my supply dropping over the past two weeks?? She just seems SO frustrated and it's emotionally just really difficult to watch her scream and refuse to latch on. She's usually a really good-natured baby. It just freaks me out because she isn't nursing as often AT ALL and I worry she's not eating enough. She's only pooping MAYBE once a day, sometimes skips a day. She's saturating maybe 4-5 diapers a day with pee, sometimes more or less though it's sometimes hard to tell with disposable diapers, they absorb so much!

Please help!!

Default Re: 3 month old possibly striking?? Need help!!

Is she perhaps sick? An abrupt change in nursing frequency and feeding behavior always makes me think about ear infections. And you just had strep... Maybe she's got it, too? I would definitely have the pediatrician swab her and check her ears.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah it sounds like an ear infection to me too.

Way too lazy for formula

And pooping once a day or every otehr day or even once a week at this point of totally fine an no cause for concern.

Way too lazy for formula