Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iron sources

Default Iron sources

DD was born at 36w6d, so not full-term. The cord was cut right away, since it was wrapped around her neck, so she didn't get all the cord blood. I'm doing BLS, so she's not getting iron-fortified cereal. I've not had her tested yet for iron levels. What foods should I give her, to make sure she gets enough iron? She gets sweet potatoes a lot, and meat. I've tried chickpeas, smushed beans onto toast (afraid she'll choke on then whole). She's not really eating greens, but I'm trying to make green smoothies more often, and give her tastes of them. I bought blackstrap molasses, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it.
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

Default Re: Iron sources

Sounds like you're doing well. Here's a list I found:

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/han...rces_iron.html

I would be wary of using too much blackstrap molasses, since it's a sweetener. I think you just cook with it like you would with honey or sugar (e.g. into muffins, etc.).

Oh, I wasn't going to give too much molasses, I was just wondering what to do with it.

Thanks for the list, I bookmarked it. Good to have reference pages that are easy to find.
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

Apricots also have iron, my son adores apricots but they're hard to come by fresh and organic and usually lack flavor. I buy unsulfured dried apricots from trader Joe's and hydrate them a bit in some warm water before diving them up for my son. He is 9 months but has a lot of teeth and he does well with the pieces. Raisins are supposed to he good too as well as egg yolk. Try getting vegitable fed chicken eggs so the allergens are less...the protien element in standard commercial chicken feed is usually pretty deplorable. If your child hasn't been vaccinated with vaccines cultured in egg then its pretty rare to have an egg allergy. I smush beans on my sons tray, he loves those...purple speckled lima beans are his favorite.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

On the black strap molasses, there are some great bread recipes that call for it. We make our own whole wheat bread so that's what I use to give it color and flavor. Oatmeal of left to cool becomes semi gelatinous so if you mix some molasses in with it before you let it cool, you can serve it in tiny cubes. If you offer plain yogurt or make your own...you could mix a little into that as well.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -