Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing not working anymore!!

Default Nursing not working anymore!!

Hi mamas it has been a while since DD and I have had any real nursing and sleep problems but I am really confused about this one.

A little background: DD has only STTN one night and she is 9mo old, so I am pretty used to nursing her in the middle of the night. She started crawling at 8 months and she doesn't have any teeth yet but I can see one making its way through her bottom gums. She doesn't seem too bothered by it...

Anyway lately when she wakes up at night she will want to roll around, sit up and start clapping. It can be very cute but we are exhausted.... sometimes she will collapse on me and fall asleep immediately and other times I try to lay her back down and nurse her but it only makes her very frustrated. This has never happened before as I have always relied on nursing to get her back to sleep.

In these situations either my fiancé or I will need to bounce and rock her back to sleep. Would love some advice or any BTDT stories that were eventually resolved
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Default Re: Nursing not working anymore!!

hi mama, this is totally normal! it seems to happen when LO is about to go through some big milestone; they wake to practice. it will pass! and it doesn't mean she's done nursing. still super frustrating, especially when they're being So. Darned. Cute. at 3 am!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree it's a milestone thing. They learn to clap or stand or roll and then can't stop themselves from doing it when they wake up in the night ... all excited but still super tired. I laughed to think of her clapping and then immediately collapsing back to sleep on you. So cute. But I know it is hard. I remember it with my first. It will pass. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice!

Thanks for your replies!
    The thing about milestones totally makes sense to me, especially when she is waking up to crawl, babble, or clap. However what doesn't make sense to me is when she wakes up and rolls around from side to side and keeps crying. I see that I didn't specify this issue in my OP, I blame lack of sleep...

Last night was another nearly sleepless night. She was sleeping fine and then would cry out all of a sudden and start rolling around and would somehow end up at the head of the bed. Any attempts to cuddle or nurse her made her angry. After about 10 minutes of intermittent crying, rolling around, and sleeping, she finally let me nurse her and she fell back asleep. I was simply way too tired to get out of bed and try bouncing her last night, and she wasn't crying nonstop.

She would roll over, cry a couple times and settle down, then roll back over, cry a couple more times and settle back down, etc etc etc over and over and over.

Does the milestones thing explain this behavior as well?
    Amber

loving fiancée to SAHD

This is exactly me!! Since LO hit 6-months she is waaay harder to nurse to sleep. She also does the weird night wakings, rolling, fussing, sometimes super alert (at like 3 am!) and then finally she'll surrender to me. She was the same when she started learning to roll but then it got better. Now its the norm and doesn't look like its going to change soon. I'm just rolling with it and hoping its developmental!!

Ah I just really needed assurance that it is normal. My fiance wasn't totally on board with cosleeping so whenever we have a couple bad nights in a row I start to question DDs reliance on the boob and our parenting style.

Fiance is much more supportive now that he sees how independent she is during the day (and she is like THE high need baby) and our sleep has improved much from last week. She isn't against nursing automatically again so it was a very short phase fortunately .

Thanks again mamas I just need to relax
    Amber

loving fiancée to SAHD