Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it needs to be time

Default I think it needs to be time

I have had mastitis 3 times in the past six months, and I can't keep getting this sick. I only nurse my 2 y/o DS at night (or naps on weekends). I think it's time for a change (or maybe it's just the fever talking).

After I get over this bout of mastitis, we're going to try to have DH do bedtime duties. My biggest concern is that DS still wakes up between 1-4 times a night. During those times, DH isn't going to be very helpful because it takes him too long to be awake enough to help. I am thinking that I'll just have to be strong and pat/rock DS back to sleep.

Any advice?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: I think it needs to be time

Have you had the same antibiotics every time? Has anyone tried to culture the infection?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The first and second time were different antibiotics (because the first one made me vomit). This third time, they gave me the same kind as last time (Diflucan). No, it hasn't been cultured.
    ~ Megan

Diflucan is an antifungal used to treat thrush, not an antibiotic. I didn't think that thrush could cause mastitis, but I could be wrong. I would definitely ask for a culture, especially if it's recurring!

Sorry - I had the wrong drug name. I'm on Dicloxacillin!
    ~ Megan

Are all the abx you've taken been in the penicillin family?

I know these questions aren't at all the answer you're seeking- I am just concerned about the repeated bouts of mastitis. If you have some sort of infection simmering in the breast, one that has never been fully annihilated by antibiotics, weaning could give that infection a chance to reemerge.

When you do night-wean, then yes, you do have to be kind of tough about not resorting to the breast even when your kid has been up for a long time and you're dying to get back to sleep. Offer sippy cups, back-rubs, lullabies, lie down with your LO, have him lie down in your bed or on a mattress in your room. But don't resort to the breast unless you feel that withholding it is making baby too miserable.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hmm.. I think the abx have all been in the same family...

I think the first time was in the left breast, and the last two were in the right. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I was just able to pump a little (yellow, thick "milk"), but it's really hard for me to pump anything these days. For the doctor to take a culture, I need a milk sample, right? Do you think I should call my doctor or just wait to see what happens?

I am hoping that weaning isnt too hard on us. DS is a very persistent & stubborn little boy. I am ready for us to move on, so I hope I can find other ways to soothe him.
    ~ Megan

I think it's a good idea to talk to the doc. Just so that you know what to look for. and definitely discuss the antibiotics you've been given- should you consider taking something from a different family, if you get sick again?

If the milk you're getting at this point is scanty and yellow, it sounds like you're well on your way to weaning. You might be able to wean without any need to go super-slow. I hope things go smoothly at night!

we just moved toward night weaning much faster than i expected it to happen .. in late january i realized i wasn't even getting 2 hours at a stretch most nights, and i was getting incredibly wiped out (thrush came back, pink eye snuck in, and it turns out i was also brand new pregnant), and i just had to make a change. at 3 am one day i had had enough and decided i needed DS (then 20 months) to go back to sleep with me just once without nursing. it took about an hour ... some half-hearted crying, then some playing, then about 5 minutes of paniced crying-to-sleep and we got an a amazing two solid hours of sleep! each night-waking after that was easier; i will nurse him for the length of a Twinkle, twinkle verse and then pat, rock back to sleep. Now, 6 weeks later, most of the time he rolls away before i hit the end of the verse, AND he's waking to nurse a lot less too. it was definitely a change he was ready for. Which is to say ... maybe this won't be as traumatic for your little one as you think it will be. We still nurse to sleep and in the morning; I think without that he would have a harder time.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    Which is to say ... maybe this won't be as traumatic for your little one as you think it will be. We still nurse to sleep and in the morning; I think without that he would have a harder time.
    Thanks for sharing your positive experience! I may try to nurse him to sleep for a while still, and cut out the middle-of-the-night nursing first.
    ~ Megan