Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9/9.5 mo reducing nursing sessions, supply dropping

Default 9/9.5 mo reducing nursing sessions, supply dropping

Hello ladies

I recently saw a post about this happening to another mama in the forum, but it seems like it got solved... But I am worried and I don't know if what's happening is normal.

My DD has dropped at least 4 sessions so far, she eats BM about 7 -8 times a day, 3 expressed BM bottles while I work and then about 2 nursing sessions during the night and then after i get back from work and before going to bed and before I leave to work.

She used to eat a lot more, and I've been trying to keep pumping 4 times/day while I'm at work but I don't get more than 2.5 oz every time. And I used to pump between 3.5 and 4 oz (and se usually drank all of it!) so now I've been getting my freezer stash to complete the bottles so I always leave 4 bottles just in case she decides to eat more...

She's eating solids pretty good, usually 3 times a day and maybe a couple of snacks with a few puffs. I know BM should never be substituted with solids, and I actually got onto my daycare for wasting BM since thy were feeding solids first and then bottle. I nurse first and then offer solids, sometimes she falls asleep for a little bit, so sometimes may be after 30 min or so when I offer solids after nursing.

I'm worried about her not getting the amount of BM she needs. How much BM should a 9 or 10 mo be eating?

She's not fussy (at least now, she was fussy for a few nights last week, but I think it was teething/growth spurt). But I have noticed that her stool is sort of hard...

Default Re: 9/9.5 mo reducing nursing sessions, supply dropping

Hi mama, normal intake for a baby this age is between 24 and 32 ounces in 24 hours. How quickly has she dropped the 4 sessions over? If you're noticing hard stools and you feel like she's dropping sessions too quickly, there's no harm in backing down on the solids a bit. You can always go back up as she gets closer to a year.

It was actually a gradual change, I realized she dropped 4 sessions as I typed...
    So... 24-32 oz, she takes 3 3.5oz bottles while I'm away, that's 10.5 oz. and then let's say 3.5 in the other 5 sessions- 17.5oz... Hmm... We're probably ok huh?
    I'm just worried about my supply now... Do I need to cut a pumping session since she's just taking 3 bottles and not 4 like she used to?
    I'm going to bake some cookies today or tomorrow to try to bump my supply up a little.

Thanks!

It sounds like she is okay in terms of amounts, but if her stools stay hard, that could still mean you're a little high on the solids and low on the breastmilk, you know? In terms of cutting pumping sessions, if you're worried about your supply, you don't want to be cutting sessions. It sounds like right now you are matching what she is taking in at daycare? 2.5 oz x 4 pumping sessions = 10 ounces, she's taking in 10.5 ounces? Which just means that your supply has regulated to her current intake.

I'm wondering if the hard stool is unrelated to your supply. Both of my kids became constipated after receiving a very small quantity of rice cereal. I, after speaking with their ped, eliminated the rice cereal and switched to oatmeal, which immediately resulted is softer stools. It sounds like your supply is fine, so I, personally, would re-examine which foods my child was eating and perhaps replace constipating foods with less constipating foods.

Hmm... I didn't think about the foods she's eating. We did give her some prunes when she had the hard stools and that helped. I'm gonna start watching better what she eats, thanks!
    I really don't think she was eating that much solids. SHe won't eat more than maybe half a jar of the 2nd foods and some times one of 1st foods, so they're the little jars.
    I guess the supply has regulated, I didn't see it that way since I had to top off to have 4 3.5 bottles. I had supply issues at the beginning so I'm always freaking out when I see a supply change and start fenugreek and lactation cookies! (Which I make just to eat anytime cause my DH loves them lol)

Thanks y'all!