Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 year old lost her latch?

Default 4 year old lost her latch?

My DD has been saying for a few weeks that there isn't any mummy milk and has been quite sad about this. She only nurses now at bedtime and rarely at other times. For the last few nights she hasn't asked for milk and has just gone to sleep. When I talked to a friend about this she wondered if she had lost her latch and on reflection Ithink this is the case. It has been uncomfortable for me recently when she is nursing to the point when on occasion I have had to stop. I'm not sure why I'm writing this I guess I really feel for her as she loved mummy milk so much and I would have liked for her to stop because she had grown out of it and didn't need it anymore so just working through this really and hoped there may be others who had similar experiences?

Default Re: 4 year old lost her latch?

awww, my DD is nearly 4, and I am certain there is no milk left, as I am close to 34 weeks preg...never feel let down, she just nurses for a few seconds and then is done. I think its more comfort.

Does she ask for it anymore? Does she seem sad about it? if not then maybe its just the natural progression and will lead to her weaning. I will also feel sad when DD isnt nursing anymore, but part of me is ready for it.

You speak of it being uncomfortable, any possibility you can be preg? I didnt lose my milk for a few months, but it was very uncomfortable, and now is EXTREMELY uncomfortable to nurse her.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My DD has been saying for a few weeks that there isn't any mummy milk and has been quite sad about this. She only nurses now at bedtime and rarely at other times. For the last few nights she hasn't asked for milk and has just gone to sleep.
    what you describe is very simialr to our situation. My son is four years and three months and since several months now almost only ever nurses a little before going to sleep, for a short time and I quite sure nothing is coming out, for certain not on the right side and possible left has dried up too. In fact the day before yesterday was the first time he said that there was no milk coming out, until then he ahd always told me that there was.

It has been uncomfortable for me recently when she is nursing to the point when on occasion I have had to stop.
    same here, i have to ask him several times to let go and try again (which he does) and still it can be painful. But he has learned to hold my breast a certain way so it is less painful despite the strange latch.
    I'm not sure why I'm writing this I guess I really feel for her as she loved mummy milk so much and I would have liked for her to stop because she had grown out of it and didn't need it anymore so just working through this really and hoped there may be others who had similar experiences?

i can totally related. I am happy for him to have the experience ( i really dont think there is much milk at this point) but also at times wanted him to stop yet carried on, not least due to the encouragement from the ladies on this forum - originally what had brought me here was my wish to wean. Well almost one year on I did not, and now it looks like he is doing it himself.
    I will miss it, and it is such an easy way to get him to fall asleep. But then lately he has just snuggled up and goes to sleep just resting his hand or head on the left breast which he has always over the years favoured over the right.

Thank you for your replies. No I'm not pregnant I realise now that she has just forgotten how to do it. It's just good to know I'm not the only one to feel sad - the end of an era! She hasn't asked for milk for the last three nights so pretty sure this is it. Isn't it funny that at times you wonder whether they will ever stop and then suddenly it's all over! Feel privileged to have done this for so long though. Thanks for your experiences it has really helped xx

glad to be of any help.
    BTW mine has done that several times in the last 6 months - stops for 3-5 days and then asks again. so when he recently stopped again I was not as sad as the previous times when I thought he had finished for good, because I was quite sure he would pick it up again and sure he did.