Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling guilty for wanting to pump-wean

Default Feeling guilty for wanting to pump-wean

My son turns 1 in three weeks!

Not sure how relevant it is, but he is teeny, and has not yet hit 17lbs. Triple his birth weight would be close to 18lbs and I know that's one of the things that "they" look for.

We nurse on demand and do BLW. He LOVES solids and daycare has been having a very hard time the past month or so getting him to drink his bottles. He is currently getting 2 bottles at daycare, but generally only consumes 5oz total over the 9 hour day.

We take special care to give him balance meals. I am currently down to two pumping sessions a day. If I don't get 7oz of milk in those two pumping sessions, I will top off his bottles with a bit of cow's cream - which wasn't advised by anyone, I just sort of did it one day thinking he could maybe use extra calories.

I am thinking of cutting out his second bottle and only pumping on my lunch break soon and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Ultimately I am looking forward to not being attached to a pump during my lunch, but I really don't feel good about him not getting any of my milk when he is at daycare.

I figure by now my supply is pretty established and we won't have any problems if he wants to nurse on the weekends. What are your plans for pump weaning? Do other moms feel this guilt?
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Default Re: Feeling guilty for wanting to pump-wean

He's still going to be getting your milk at night and in the morning, in addition to the weekends. And he's taking solids well. I see no reason not to pump wean at this point. My LO is turning one next week and I'm working on pump weaning too.

I remember feeling anxious, and maybe a little bit guilty, about pump-weaning. I ended up pumping until DS was 14.5 months, for just this reason. I wanted to be sure he'd do fine without my milk during the day before I stopped pumping. That's one thing you could consider, continuing to pump once per day for an extra month or two while he transitions. However, if he's already reluctant to drink bottles at daycare, I don't think I'd stress over it. As long as he is growing along his personal growth curve--whether that's in the 5th percentile or the 95th--he's doing fine. I wouldn't let the fact that he's small keep you from pump-weaning, so long as he is growing nicely. You WILL have plenty of milk for him on the weekends and while at home. I was worried about that aspect, too, which is part of why I pumped as long as I did. I just didn't see how I could NOT pump 5 days a week and then have enough milk the other 2 days. Somehow, though, you do have enough on the days off. I don't know why it works, but it does. My DS also ramped up nursing a lot during the time I am home once he was off the bottles, so that's one way my supply has stayed good. You may find your LO increases the nursing sessions at home, once you're done pump-weaning. Good luck, it is a nice feeling not to be attached to a pump anymore, and has definitely increased my work productivity!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Thank you guys!!

I am relieved not to be the only one with these feelings. I also think I will keep pumping just once per day on my lunch break for a bit, just so everything's more gentle

I'm excited! I used to go running my lunch break and I MISS IT!!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)