Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Conflicted about BLS

Default Conflicted about BLS

DS is 8 months old and started baby-led solids about a month ago. I only offered him solids about twice a week because it didn't seem to be going well. He gagged on any pieces that ended up in his mouth and sometimes managed to swallow them, almost accidentally. The gagging freaked me out and didn't feel natural to me at all. I've been wondering if purees would be a better way for us to start. I feel like premastication is pretty common around the world and maybe purees are what a lot of babies need in order to get iron and zinc in the second half of their first year of life. I don't want him to be deficient in iron and zinc because apparently even after the problem is corrected it can cause persistent learning difficulties later in life, so a "wait and see" approach doesn't sound appealing to me. I know babies tend to have enough iron to get through the first half of their first year on just breastmilk, but what about after that? I don't know of any cultures where it's typical to start babies on non-pureed, non-premasticated food. I would feel a lot more comfortable if I knew that starting babies on whole finger-foods was a typical way of doing things in some part of the world. At least then I could feel like the idea had been tested on a large enough group of people so that I could know what the results were. Anyways, I just wanted to share my doubts and see if anyone can show me more data about BLS. I feel like it could work for some people, but I don't feel like it's working for us.

Default Re: Conflicted about BLS

There was a recent discussion about this on this forum, but I don't know how to search on here so I can't find it for you (I'm computer stupid). But I felt kind of the same way and also for other reasons decided to go with very thin purees in the beginning (around 6 months) and then did a combination of puree and finger foods. I read many books, articles, etc., and decided that was best for us. I think you should do what feels right to you. Use your mommy instincts. My daughter definitely ate a better variety of foods when we did purees/mushed foods. She became quite picky once we went to mostly finger foods (although that's probably for a number of reasons) but I feel better knowing she had a good variety so early. Now I sneak vegetables into smoothies and make vegetable juices for her. I think one of the concerns with purees is pushing food on the baby, so we just made sure we followed her cues about eating and didn't do anything to try to get her to eat -- no airplanes, no pushing food into her mouth, etc.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

If you're worried about zinc and iron, you could always just give a vitamin supplement We did BLS with DS and he ended up becoming anemic by his one-year check-up I think that had more to do with the fact that I'm borderline anemic so probably don't have as much iron in my milk as some moms, plus due to an emergency during birth we couldn't do delayed cord-clamping so he started out with lower iron stores, but I do wish I'd started an iron supplement when he was 6 or 9 months old, then we wouldn't have had a problem. He was getting baby cereal (either spoonfed to him or spoon-feeding himself, starting around 10 months) at least once per day so it isn't like he wasn't getting some iron rich food, but apparently it wasn't enough. He still won't eat red meat, so he's still on the supplement even though he's no longer anemic.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I was/still am wary about giving LO solid foods (he's almost 9 months). Today we tried those rice teething cups and he nearly gagged! I then cut up some very small pieces of banana and that went much better, though most of it ended up on his bib, the tray, and clothes . Otherwise, he does great eating purees and cereal, which we started at 6 months. He is so funny when he eats--he opens his mouth like a little bird and sometimes flaps his arms in anticipation! This works for us, so I think we will be slower in introducing finger foods just yet.

So...all these websites I've been looking at are saying infants should get 11mg of iron per day during the second half of their first year (more than adult men need, supposedly). At first I was scared but then I saw this...This CDC website says .27mg/day is fine for 0-6 months, but then from 7-12 months they *need* 11mg/day. http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...mins/iron.html
    But it just doesn't make sense that because my baby is a little older, his iron needs would increase THAT much. I interpret this to mean .27mg/day of the easily absorbed iron found in breastmilk is fine while baby is exclusively breastfed (until when is not clear), but if your baby is getting all or most his iron from other sources when he's older, then he will need more like 11mg to ensure he absorbs enough.

So I don't know how much iron he needs at this point, but I'm pretty sure it's not 11mg! I had good iron levels during pregnancy and we delayed cord clamping, so he's not particularly at risk. We've played with some purees lately. He doesn't eat much of those either, although it's more than he managed to get when self-feeding. Maybe his self-feeding wasn't as far off the mark as I had thought? Still not sure what our solids journey will look like but it looks like we are closer to where we should be than I had thought. I'm still scouring the net for more info.

Update: Tried purees for a bit and he would only take a little (1 or 2 lightly filled baby spoons) before losing interest. Took a short break from solids then went back to BLW and now he truly eats! He still makes a mess but is clearly bringing the food to his mouth, mashing it, and swallowing. It was just a matter of time.

I guess I am late to this party. But I was coming to say if your child is struggling with eating BLS it's usually because they aren't ready for solids. So simply putting them away and coming back in a week or two or three is usually the ticket.

Way too lazy for formula