Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling pressure? about feeding solids

Default Feeling pressure? about feeding solids

Hi everyone! It's been a while...which is a good sign, I guess.
    Anyway, I have a situation that I'm not sure what to do about... My wonderful DH is convinced lately that since our 9mo daughter is extremely interested in what's going on at suppertime, she should be eating more table food. I'm not entirely convinced, because although she eats what we put on a spoon and feed her till she loses interest (and her attention span for this is longer than I thought it would be...), she doesn't actually eat that much when given the chance to pick it up herself. She doesn't seem to get frustrated when she can't get food in her mouth, which is why I think she just wants to play/experiment with what Mommy has too.
    She is EBF and doesn't take a bottle, and I haven't really tried sippy cups yet since I'm not away from her often or for long enough for her to REALLY need to eat. My mom watched her for the 2 hours I worked this morning and said that she fed her about 20 Cheerios because she seemed frustrated/upset and that's the only thing that seemed to calm her. (My mom prefaced with "I promise I'm not trying to push solids, but that really was the only thing that worked...") I am going on the hunt for a sippy cup that seems to make sense for us this weekend though I think. She loves cups anyway (sees me drinking water 24/7!) so I'm hoping that my mom will be able to give her breastmilk next time...
    I kinda also feel like I'm afraid to give her too much food, since I wanna nurse for at least 2 years, and it will affect my supply if I give her too much. Plus, I just don't want her to grow up! She's gonna be my only baby...
    I guess I just wanna know if I'm doing this right...

Default Re: Feeling pressure? about feeding solids

I think you are wise to limit parent-fed solids for your 9-month-old! Self feeding is a great gauge for how ready baby is for solids.

Pushing solids is a part of the plan when moms are trying to wean by a year.

However, if your baby eats a little Cheerios or other self-fed foods during meals, that's okay.

I find that when I am trying NOT to wean, I consciously think of weaning methods, then do the opposite.

- Weaning method: Don't offer nursing to baby, but don't refuse if baby asks for it. The Opposite: Offer frequently, but don't push it if she doesn't want it.
    - Weaning method: Use artificial nipples. The Opposite: Baby sucks on only Mom. (You're already doing this as much as you can)
    - Weaning method: Replace nursing sessions with solid foods. The Opposite: Nurse before and after any solids meal. Ensure that most of baby's nutrition comes from breastmilk during the first year.
    - Weaning method: Night wean. The Opposite: Nurse at night on demand.

Anyway, if you're doing mostly the opposite of weaning methods, then solid foods will most likely not interfere with your bf relationship.

I'll also just mention that in my opinion, sippy cups are overrated. It seems like a lot of parents intend to have the child drink from the cup while he/she is walking around, hence the no-drip lid. I figure, if you're at the table drinking, you don't really need a sippy cup -- just have baby drink out of a regular cup, then put the cup out of reach until it's time to drink again. It would need to be a plastic cup that you could bend to fit her mouth. You could put breastmilk in a cup, too, and just have baby drink it out of the cup. I used a straw with my little ones, but i know sometimes babies can get confused with straws and try to suck on mom the same way she sucks on a straw. This was never a problem for me.

Good luck!

My son is 9 months and he loves eating and feeding himself. He could eat solids all day if I let him. Had my mom babysit for 2 hours while my husband and I went out for our anniversary and she spent the whole time feeding my son. He was so full when I got home he wouldn't nurse and he passed right out. I was so frustrated. I have cut back on solids since for fear of weaning. When I give solids its 2 times a day no more than 2 oz at a time and its always after I nurse and then I nurse right after to wash out his mouth and see if he is hungry still. Always bookended your solids feedings with nursing to check that your solid intake is a good amount. This helped me determine what amount was ok for my son. Be really specific with any caregivers about food, too... as others will point out, solids aren't that important at this point, just make sure what she does get is the best quality,whole foods.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

About sipped cups....I only offer about 1/2 oz of fruit and water puree in these sippee cups http://www.amazon.com/Nurtria-Basic-...+cups+bpa+free as a treat after dinner only and mostly just for fun. They can be used just as cups too. I don't like the ridiculously complicated versions with 10 parts...its a waste of my time... I use these because I don't like him to spill any large amount of juice when he is already in his nighty. It cuts down on laundry. They aren't too much like a bottle nipple either so it wont confuse the suck style. My son bites down on the mouthpiece because its fun to chew.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

I'd suggest you look up baby led weaning or baby led solids. I gave DD1 homemade puree's. With DD2 I did some, but no where near as much. With DD3 we haven't done any at all. She's been leading her own, all the way.

We switched for a few reasons. One being that I'm too darned busy to make puree's this time around. The big reason is because I didn't like shoveling food into them. Just because they open their mouths does NOT mean they're hungry. Putting it down in front of them, letting them practice their pincer grasp, getting it into their mouths, rolling it around it their mouths.... Solids up until they're a year is NOT about quantity nor nutrition (although what you give them should be healthy). It's about discovery, learning, coordination.... Just give them little bits of what you're having. A favourite is chicken noodle soup around here. I cut the longer bits of noodles, break up the chicken. She just goes to town! The same for pasta, little pieces of veggies, pieces of cheese or soft fruits, etc. I freely admit that I do spoon feed her yogurt or applesauce. It's just too messy. But I pay careful attention to her cues so that I don't overfeed.

I have found it also stops well-meaners from shoving food into them. Letting her have her own, she goes at her own pace.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I've become a BLS convert too. Never heard of it before I started hanging out here on the forums, so with my older two I also did the traditional pureed food, but with this one it's been BLS - she loves it and I love it! My baby is now one and she's doing great with solids. Another advantage is that while baby eats, mommy eats!

It's funny too - that it really does make a difference, as you have more children. Relaxing and trusting. DD3 has grabbed food from her older sisters that would have given me a heart attack if DD1 or even DD2 had done it. There's nothing like seeing your baby with a huge piece of toast with peanutbutter on it to give you a reality check. I must say, DD3 has not gagged or choked at all. She's been MUCH more confident with her foods and hasn't struggled at all. Where DD1 and even DD2 gave me regular heart attacks with their foods.

At the same time, I've been so much more relaxed about her foods. I haven't pressured myself about it, when I started, how much, when. It was natural. She showed interest, I gave her some. She didn't, I didn't worry. I've always nursed her and then gotten my own food (so I wouldn't be interrupted). So she now nurses and if she wants some of my meal, she gets it!

I admit it wasn't much at 9 months like the OP's daughter. It would be the occasional bit, here or there. But it will come. If you feel like you're rushing, you probably are. So don't.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Trust your Mummy instincts and go with your gut. You know what's best for your LO and if she seems interested that's great. Try different things and if she likes them and eats great. If not then that's fine too. And as for your supply if you are nursing each mealtime and still on demand then I wouldn't worry too much. You'll have what your LO needs.

HTH
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches