Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week old and I need help!

Default 8 week old and I need help!

Hello

My daughter is 8 weeks old and I feel like I'm going to give up on breastfeeding

Not sure if this is when the problem started, but at 4 days old, my milk had not come in yet and that night she was screaming (we assumed because she was so hungry). So we gave in and gave her a bottle of formula. She drank it and fell asleep. The next day my milk came in and everything seemed fine until around 8 pm again and ended up giving her a bottle again. So every night from then on we've given her a bottle of formula. I have a Medela pump, but its a single pump.
    More recently, I've started taking birth control and my Dr told me my supply could decrease. I definitely think thats the case now because after each feeding my LO cries and continues to chew/suck on her hands which indicates to me that she is still hungry. When she has a bottle, she normally drinks about 4 oz, but still seems hungry after that too. I dont want to over feed her from the bottle but I'm very certain I'm not producing enough milk for her. I have a 5 year old at home with me during the day so its not easy devoting most of my time to this.

Around 8 pm or earlier, she seems fussy and likes to cluster feed. I try to keep her at the breast as long as possible but when theres no more milk, she doesnt want to suck anymore. And she prefers a heavy let down vs a trickle.

I dont know what else to do, I try to pump when we give her a bottle but I usually dont get very much, just an ounce or so.

Please let me know what other suggestions you may have.

Default Re: 8 week old and I need help!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I have a suggestion, but I don't think you're going to like it, because it is to cut out the bottles cold turkey. To the point where I would actually throw the bottles and the formula out, so that there is zero temptation to use them.

If you can exclusively breastfeed for every part of the day except for that evening feeding, then I think the problem is NOT your supply, but rather the baby's expectations. She has had 8 weeks of evening bottles, and now she expects one. It may be her way of transitioning into sleep. And it may be enough of a change to her senses that it short-circuits the evening fussiness which is normal for many babies. Both my kids were evening screamers- they'd cry inconsolably for several hours in the evenings; in short, they were colicky. Some things that work for fussy evenings:
    - white noise ( radio static, dryer sounds, etc.)
    - motion (rock, swing, stroller ride, bounce on exercise ball, etc.)
    - trip outside
    - warm bath
    - physical closeness (wear baby in a sling, snuggle her close to your bare chest)
    - swaddle
    - nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse

Regarding birth control, if you feel that it's affecting your supply, then ditch it. The are plenty of breastfeeding-friendly methods out there, and we'll be happy to help you find one that will work for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So at this point it is just one bottle a day? and is baby is gaining normally and is a healthy weight at this point?

Are there any other issues, such as pain when nursing?

I also agree with the bc. WHY would you take bc that is possibly going to affect milk production if you already think you have low production? Did your doctor discuss ANY options with you?

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Yes, so far its one bottle a day. Shes gaining weight...95th percentile No pain when nursing thank goodness.

When he prescribed the bc I wasnt having issues with supply. He told me it was possible to have decreased production while on bc. I just got off the phone with Dr's office regarding other bc options. Are there any options you could recommend?

Okay if your baby is gaining fine then I agree with mommal- you don't need to be giving your baby supplemental bottles and if you keep doing so it's likely to mess up breast-feeding.

I am not going to suggest any particular birth control method. Too dangerous! All birth-control aside from abstinence has a failure rate.
    From a breast-feeding standpoint there are many options that do not include hormones. There is also the minipill which does not contain estrogen however anecdotally the minipill can also be a problem for some women milk production wise.
    I suggest you research the various options and find one that will work best for you.
    I would suggest that you not simply rule out barrier methods based on failure rates. Failure rates
    for barrier methods are sometimesinflated because the comparisons don't take into account that some people simply do not use them correctly or don't use them at all when needed if you get my drift.
    I don't have time to look for it now but there is an interesting study on how the failure rates for condoms and female condoms
    went way down when women, rather than men, were given proper instruction and responsibility for using them.