Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple shield

Default Nipple shield

My son is 3 weeks old and he was born tongue tied. We did not have his tongue clipped until he was a week old, which resulted in my right nipple being tore all to pieces and the other raw and bleeding. So I resorted to using a nipple shield on the left and he only nursed on that side until my right healed completely. I pumped the right for the time being. Now he will only nurse with the nipple shield. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to get him back on just the breast. Thanks

Default Re: Nipple shield

Welcome to the forum! This link is the best I know of for the information you're looking for: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/ Basically, you're looking at a process of repeated attempts, and lots of patience! Eventually your LO should figure out that waiting for the shield is a silly waste if time. But it could take a while- some moms end up working on this issue for weeks, even months.

Will your baby take both breasts now, or only the left?

Thank you! He will nurse on both sides but he prefers the left. I think this is because it has a quicker let down.

It's great that he'll take both. If your baby's preference for the lefts starts causing lopsidedness, this link should help: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/

HI! Just to encourage you - my first baby had a tie that wasn't picked up and snipped until 5 weeks. I was completely broken to the point the doctor offered to put a stitch in one of the fissures on the left. We ended up pumping and bottle feeding from 4 weeks until about 10 weeks as it took that long for my nipples to heal. lots of people said she wouldn't go back to the breast but with consistency, patience and prayer she did! Just offered her boob first every time and topped up with bottle as needed and got her back exclusively onto the breast and fed 'till she was 12 months. Not saying this to say I'm wonderful and know this is a little different (shield not bottle) but to say - I feel your pain! and that you're doing a great job and that this is a situation that can change. Keep going!! You can do it!

That is very encouraging! He will not take a bottle at all completely refuses only the shield. He will latch onto my nipple after the feeding has begun but not at first. We are making some progress a little at a time. I am thankful he will breastfeed to begin with because my almost 4 yr old would not at all (I'm sure I was just to impatient and gave up), so I pumped and bottle fed her for 3 months until I went back to work full time.I'm going to try my best to get him back to just on the breast and not worry about it to much if he doesn't comply. I read all the different articles on this site and I feel lucky that right now a shield is my biggest problem right now. I'm really blessed. Thank you all for all the advise and encouragement!!