Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! 8 weeks in and it's all going wrong!!!!

Default Help! 8 weeks in and it's all going wrong!!!!

Hi!

I am on baby number 2 who is just 9 weeks and gorgeous!
    I had massive problems feeding with my first as she had a tongue tie that wasn't spotted until really late and I was very broken. Ended up pumping and bottle feeding for months whilst my nipples healed but then got her back on the boob and fed until 12 months.

As you can imagine have been SUPER careful this time round and have been feeding well although more from one breast than the other as the unfavoured one has some scar tissue from before & doesn't seem to be as easy for the baby.

The last week or so my 'favoured side' has become quite sore and since yesterday there has been visible cracks. She seems to be latched really well - and everything has been fine for 8 weeks!!! What has gone wrong?? I am a bit despairing as I don't know how to fix it when I don't know why it got broken??? Last time my little girl had her tie snipped and got bigger and that all helped. This time there is no tie and she's already loads bigger than new and established on the breast and now we have problems. I don't understand!!!!! Does anyone have any ideas???? Please?!!!

Default Re: Help! 8 weeks in and it's all going wrong!!!!

Everything hass been fine for 8 weeks and you're suddenly cracked? To me, that suggests some sort of infectious agent, most likely thrush. So, have you had/seen any of the following:
    - a recent course of antibiotics, including for GBS during birth?
    - a yeast infection
    - oral thrush in baby, or a yeast diaper rash
    - itching or burning sensations in the breast, particularly in between feedings
    - skin appearing dry or flaking
    - nipples appearing more red/pink/shiny than usual

I agree with mommal, thrush or an infection can lead to sore nipples after things have been going well. If, however, the problem is latch, it might be that some different nursing positions are needed as baby grows.

Cool, thanks ladies. I was wondering about thrush. No real reason to have picked it up and no obvious signs in baby but my breasts do really hurt between feeds especially when I go out in the cold! Have finally got an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow, will try and get some meds. In the mean time have continued to feed and although still sore it's no worse so we're persevering!

If cold makes the pain worse, check out this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/