Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another question about how often to pump

Default Yet another question about how often to pump

LO is almost 7 months. We started daycare last week. I try to nurse her before I leave her at daycare and I come at lunch to nurse. She isn't nursing great. I think she's hungry but she won't focus despite attempts to reduce distractions. My question is, at this stage in the game, do I need to rush off and pump if she doesn't nurse well to maintain supply? I don't really have time to hang out and nurse in the morning or come at lunch then spend 30minutes when I get back to work pumping. She isnt drinking much from the bottle at daycare so im not yet stressed about pumping a certain amount to make up bottles for the next day. Thoughts??
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Yet another question about how often to pump

To be clear, for the most part, she nurses well the rest of the day (and all through the night).

My strategy has always been to focus on replacing what she eats from the bottle with pumping. Other than just my goal of making enough milk for her bottles, my logic is that the more she took from bottles, the less she'd want to nurse at night, and vice versa. Ideally, I would pump each time she took a bottle. I also nurse at lunch time, so if she didn't nurse well at lunch, for example, I would assume she would take a bottle earlier in the afternoon, and pump accordingly (maybe that would mean I would need to pump 2x that afternoon instead of 1x because I guessed she would take 2 bottles). But if I miscalculated and didn't pump enough, I would try to pump a little more that night or a little extra the next day. But if she's taking not much from bottles, then she should be nursing more when you're together, which it sounds like she is, so that is less milk you need to pump.

My guess is that after a few weeks, you will both settle into a routine and you'll have a better idea of how much she's drinking so you'll know how much to pump. That said, I would still pump or nurse at least every 3 hours. But if she doesn't nurse super well sometimes, I think that still counts, as long as your pumping to replace what she takes from bottles.

If she's not nursing well during the day and you think she's hungry and not eating, then I would also monitor her outputs and weight gain just to make sure she's getting enough. But if she's nursing well when you're together, including all night long, then it sounds like she is getting plenty of milk. This might actually be desirable because if she's getting a lot of her milk requirements in the evenings and at night, that is less milk you need to pump--a good thing!!

I'm running into this a little bit as well. Do you have a nursing cover? Maybe you just need to reduce what she can be distracted by when you are nursing her. I also go to nurse during lunch and have the same issue. The nursing cover can help if she doesn't get herself distracted by that too....

I do have a cover but it doesn't help much. I'm thinking I might try taking her to the car... She's eating many times through the night so I guess she's making up for not nursing great during the day but now she doesn't seem to be gaining weight great (another post : ) It's always something!!!

when my little one first went into daycare i dealt with this same debate. ultimately i decided that:

1. he was getting plenty of milk from bottles while i was away
    2. he was using bottles to an extent for comfort
    3. the baby nursing even a little is stimulating my breasts to make milk and baby is much better than a pump.

so based on these realizations i decided that me going to nurse was best because the baby was comforted by me not a bottle and that saved milk and let us connect/bond. and it stimulated my body to make milk.

if the baby is nursing fine otherwise she is probably just enjoying the time with you. i know my little guy would basically just pass out and not really nurse.

so if you have time to add in a session for pumping after fine. but if not do not worry.

try to nurse as often as possible when together. and add in pumping sessions where it doesnt impact your time with the baby or work. i really liked pumping in the car on my commute. i would do it on the way in everyday and once in awhile on the way home. or add in a few min when the baby falls asleep.

youre doing great mama. its a hard time going back to work and pumping!

MTmama - what kind of pump do you have that you use while driving? I'm trying to figure out if this may be a solution for me. Thanks!

sorry for the delay. i had a medela PIS. i used the battery pack and just a baby blanket. you need a hand free bra. i had one by Simple Wishes.

the batteries are not as strong as being plugged into an outlet but it was and you go through batteries if you use it often but for me it was TOTALLY worth it. esp the morning pump. we would nurse before leaving, then i would get hooked up and drive. since he had just nursed it was pretty easy to get the milk flowing. and you get the most milk early in the day. i would do compressions when i could as i was driving. i was very happy with the system.

so i would get to work and not only already have some milk but i would not have to stress about pumping right away. i could pump around 10/10:30 and that was great.

For pumping in the car Medela also makes a cord that plugs your PISA into the cigarette lighter in your car. I found that it works very well.

I think I will have to try the car pumping. I have a 45 minute commute and everything has to be just so choreographed in the mornings right now. I love when she nurses between 7 and 8, because I leave at 8 and then can comfortably pump at 10 or 10:15. If she nurses at 6 though, my whole schedule is off because I can't pump RIGHT when I get to work at 9.