Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling off breast: slow letdown or just not hungry?

Default Pulling off breast: slow letdown or just not hungry?

Hi everyone, my 6.5 month old has recently been more difficult to nurse, particularly at her last feed before bedtime. I've also noticed that at this time I'm not feeling a good letdown or that it seems to come slower. I can't tell if that's the problem or if she's just too distracted or not hungry at all.

She will start sucking eagerly and then in a few seconds pull off and turn her head away from the breast. Sometimes she will arch her back when I try to re-offer. Maybe she is truly not hungry? Or is she frustrated or just distracted?

I nurse her about 3 times a day on days when I work, and DH feeds her about 3 bottles of EBM (3 to 4 oz. each) when I'm at work. Generally I will get home around 4pm, nurse her (usually a good solid feed) and then I nurse her again before bed at 6-6:30 pm, and this is the "hard" one. Maybe she's still full from the afternoon feed, even though she seems eager to nurse at first?

Diaper output is good, no signs of teething right now, and we introduced solids a few weeks ago. To heed off distraction I try to nurse her in a dark, quiet room but she still displays the behaviors I described above, even though in general she is typically easily distracted at the breast, even during "good" nursing sessions.

I'm just confused...would like any input you have to share! Thanks!

Default Re: Pulling off breast: slow letdown or just not hungry?

Is she sleeping through the night?

One thing you could try would be to let her go to sleep and then wake her after an hour or two and see if she'll nurse. Sometimes babies will take a "dream feed" with less struggle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, she sleeps from about 7pm to 7am with one feed usually around 4 am. I might try the dream feed tonight. Although today I'm at home and nursing her as usual but we are having the same problems now...could not get her to nurse from me with our last feed about an hour ago and had DH giver her a bottle while I pumped. It seems like her latch is not like it usually is when she is nursing well. It feels like it's weaker...I don't know if she's just demonstrating a preference for the bottle with its faster, easier flow?

This does sound like a possible case of bottle preference. The techniques in this link may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ahh, KellyMom to the rescue! Thanks for the link!