Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean 10 month old with cold sore?

Default Wean 10 month old with cold sore?

I think my 10 month old has a cold sore

Here are the photos:

IMG_0827.jpgIMG_0829.jpg

I've been assuming I should stop nursing her but I still haven't stopped yet. She got the cold sore yesterday.

What will happen if I continue nursing her? Will I get it on my nipple and then spread it to another baby I have in the future? I know that it can be very dangerous in younger babies so I am concerned that I could spread it to one of the next babies that I have in the future.

I just can't bring myself to stop nursing her. The thought of it makes me feel so depressed. My husband believes I should wean her as that's what is best for our future babies. I know he is thinking of the future, but I feel like I don't care about future babies that don't even exist right now - I care about my daughter, and she loves breastfeeding so much, and it would make her so sad to have that taken away. She nurses to sleep, and can't fall asleep without nursing. We cosleep and night nurse. I feel like she isn't ready to be weaned

Default Re: Wean 10 month old with cold sore?

Nope, no need to wean! First of all, that doesn't really look like a cold sore to me. Second, if you have ever had a cold sore- in your entire life!- then you already have the virus sheltering in your body and you cannot get it again. Third, even if you have never had a cold sore, there's an excellent chance that you were exposed and cannot become reinfected; approximately 80% of the population carries HSV1 (the virus that causes cold sores) even if they never experience an outbreak or experience only one lifetime event. Fourth, HSV1 is shed even when there's no cold sore present- if your baby has HSV1, then you've been exposed already and it's too late to do anything about it. Fifth and finally, to my knowledge you cannot get HSV1 on your nipples or breast. The sores are expressed on your mouth on in the area of the mouth, not the breast. Less commonly, people can acquire genital HSV1- but that's due to oral-genital contact with infected partners. Basically, this is a disease of the mucus membranes, not the skin in general.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It doesn't look like one to me. She would have to have been kissed on the mouth with someone with an active cold sore to get one. I'm one of those rare people, I guess, who have never had one but I am almost positive you have to be in an outbreak to give it to someone else. Keep nursing your baby!!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you SO MUCH for the encouragement and reassurance as this had really got me down last night and this morning. I went to the doctor and he swabbed the sore so it could be sent to the lab for testing. The bad news is that the results will take two weeks to get back. I am just going to continue to nurse her in the meantime though. I really have no clue what she has on her lip but the doctor says it does look like some sort of infection and prescribed me an ointment to put on it when she's sleeping.

Yes, if you've ever had a cold sore, you're unlikely to develop sores on your nipples from this exposure. There is *not* a lot of research on this--it came up when my son had his primary breakout. If you were previously uninfected, it could happen (primary infection sometimes occurs at the site of exposure/contact). You can carry HSV1 without being symptomatic, too.

My son had 1-3 cold sores in the course of his four years of nursing. I've had cold sores since very early childhood, so he almost assuredly picked up the virus at some point when I was shedding. The pain can sometimes discourage wee ones from nursing, especially if the first outbreak takes the form of herpes gingivostomatitis. Anyhow, my nipples were and are just fine. I was really worried because OMG, that would hurt.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Agree with the PPs. I haven't heard about cold sores being dangerous in babies, but that doesn't look like one to me. I get them a lot. It looks a bit like what happens to my kids' mouths in the dry cold winter air (especially if they lick their lips a lot), but that didn't start that young with either of them, and it's a bit hard to tell from the photo.

Microbiologist here! Keep nursing!

Just wondering if it ended up being a coldsore and what your doctor said? Should you continue to breast feed? And can/did you get it on your nipples?

I'm not sure the original poster is still on this forum, so I don't know if she'll be by to answer your questions. But she did continue to nurse and her doctor seemed to have thought that this was an infection of some sort, but not necessarily a cold sore.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just thinking (I know this is an old post but I'm just seeing it now)....

She's got new bottom teeth at 10 months. Was she playing with her new teeth and biting / chewing her top lip? When they get really drooly they can get rashy sores like that. The chewing of their lips, due to the novelty of it is common. Could that have been what it was? It just seems to line up.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and