Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night feedings tapering off

Default night feedings tapering off

For the last almost month my son who is 8&1/2 months has been starting to sleep more than feed when he wakes for his night feeding (I have encouraged his night feedings since I have low supply and my breasts used to Max out at 7 hours). I have noticed a big drop in supply since this has been happening and I am wondering 2 things...is it wrong to keep him awake more in the night feeding which will involve some irritating movements to keep him nursing...and is there anything besides pumping that will maintain my supply? I supplement him right now with donated milk and I am being told by family that this is a transitional time when my baby is needing to eat more solid food and is beginning weaning...

I am also worried that my son is having a hard time gaining weight, he is barely 20lbs somedays less. We have just been sick 2 times in the last month and he was over the 20lb mark at 8 months...then in the last week he has begun crawling...so I can understand a stall in gaining. Should I up his solids to more than the oz-2 oz a day and add another meal time. He currently gets lunch and was getting 2 meals a day before the whole sick thing happened. I drew that second meal back since his sickness made him a lackluster nursed and I noticed around that time a dip in my supply. I have tried to boost supply again...but the night feedings are waning like I said.

Thanks for any help!
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: night feedings tapering off

If you're okay with waking up and nursing, go for it! He won't suffer for being woken up a bit more, and encouraged to nurse. If you decide not to wake him, then the only way to maintain supply is to remove milk somehow- and that means pumping. Which sucks- no pun intended!

Your family is both correct and not. Breastmilk (or formula) alone are sufficient to provide complete nutrition until a baby is around 12 months alone. So babies don't absolutely NEED solids at 8 months. However, once you introduce solids you are on the path to weaning- but bear in mind that the path can be many years long!

Breastfed babies usually slow way down in weight gain once they get mobile. All that motion burns tons of calories that used to get packed on as fat. The best thing you can do is to nurse more, or in your case, to nurse more and maybe offer a slightly larger amount of supplement (if possible). Solids are generally low-calorie compared to breastmilk, so adding in more solids generally doesn't increase weight gain. All that being said, the's nothing wrong with being 20 lbs at 8-9 months! It's somewhere around the 50th percentile (see http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Last night I did 2 night feeds, I kept my poor baby up during the second time especially and switched him back and forth so he got probably 80% out both times. I think I'll try to get him on inbetween his feedings today as well and keep this up for a few days to see if things rebound a little.

My pump is older so I really want to avoid using it, especially if I can keep up the night feeds by putting in a little more effort. Why do so many nursing moms not have problems going through the night without a feeding? Is it just the curse of my low supply that I have so many issues in general?

I am so tired of having boob issues...I wish I could produce like a typical person without so many problems.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

I'm sorry, mama! You've been a trooper about this, and you should be really proud of what you're accomplishing.

Most nursing moms who go all night without feeding don't have problems because their babies can maintain good overall supply by nursing more or more effectively during the day. Clearly your baby isn't able to do that, for whatever reason. And not all babies can sleep through the night and still have their moms maintain good supply- that's why mother-led night weaning should be delayed until a year, at least.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"