Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still in pain after 4 months

Default Still in pain after 4 months

I have had nipple pain since day one. I am currently unable to latch baby on, and am exclusively pumping. My nipples still hurt/sting to the point that it is hard to hold baby against my chest. Pumping is fine after a few minutes. I don't think it's thrush, my nipples look pink, feel raw and sting all day, not just after pumping. I have visited my doctor and lactation consultant. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Still in pain after 4 months

Welcome to the forum!

When your nipples are pink, stinging, and feel raw all day, my mind immediately jumps to infectious causes, like thrush or bacteria. How were those potential explanations ruled out? Also, have you had or are you seeing any of the following:
    - small, slit-like cracks
    - dry, flaking, or peeling skin in the nipple/areola region
    - a recent course of antibiotics, including for GBS+ during birth
    - a vaginal yeast infection (mom), oral thrush or yeast diaper rash (baby)

If it's not yeast or bacteria, some other possible explanations would be vasospasm (see http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/) or poorly fitting shields for your pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would agree, sounds like it could be thrush to me. I'm assuming that since you say you don't think it's thrush, that you've tried some kind of treatment for it? I had it for several months, and although the topical things helped a little (and I think were instrumental in getting rid of it to some degree), I really saw a greater improvement after an oral course of diflucan. It might be worth asking your doc for a script, if only to rule it out! What did your doc/LC have to say about it?

I guess I can't say for sure it isn't thrush. I'm going to go back to my LC on Thursday to have her look again. I was using an anti-fungal topical ointment for two weeks (in January), so I just assume if I had thrush it would have been taken care of, but possibly not. I'll have to look into seeing if my doc will prescribe diflucan if it is thrush becasue that would mean the topical ointment didn't work.

I'd really love to be able to nurse again, but now that its been a month of pain and exclusive pumping I'm not sure baby will want to latch back on.

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated!

Are you sure your pump is fitted properly? Are you pumping at too high a setting, maybe? If the pump is not reinjuring you, and baby is not reinjuring you, and it's been a month, then it seems as if it must be thrush or a bacterial infection. Constant pain does not soud to me like vasospasm, which I thought caused pain primarily after feedings?

Thrush is not alwasy helped by topical treatment. See jack newmans website for his thrush protocol.

Really deep nipple bruising can hurt like you know where but there may be little surface obvious damage. But it should heal, again, unless you are being reinjured somehow,

A mom I talked to recently saw her dermatologist for a thrush diagnoses. It turned out to not be thrush (it's tongue tie, which mom and her IBCLC suspected already) but that particular dermatologist was great, very breastfeeding knowledgeable.

I hadn't thought of my pump not fitting properly. I will bring that with when I meet with my LC. I don't have the setting very high, only because it hurts worse as it gets higher. If I'm engorged then I will set it a little higher but haven't noticed a difference in pain.

I wish I had someone to meet with who was more knowledgeable. When I go in to see her I feel like I'm trying to convince her that it hurts, and that something is not right.

I will check out Jack Newmans website, thanks.

An easy way to tell if the issue is the pump is to watch what happens when your nipple is pulled into the tunnel when pumping. The nipple should move freely and easily. If it is rubbing against the sides that indicates the flange is too small. If not only your nipple but a good amount of areola is getting pulled in to the tunnel, that suggests the flange is too large. pain is usually caused by it being too small, but too large could also cause injury and pain I would think, just for a different reason.

If you are not happy with your ibclc, do you have another option? I also suggest, if you are feeling not beleved or not well listened to by your IBCLC, let her know how you feel!

Do you still get engorged? How often are you puming and for how long each time?

I'm only pumping 5 times per day and produce between 24-30oz per day. Usually I pump at 6am, 1030am, 330pm, 7pm and 11pm. I try not to let myself get engorged, but some days with work and baby it does happen.

I'll have to watch my pumping tonight. I use both 30mm and 27mm flanges. I ordered the 30mm to have at work with my extra pump. I noticed the 30mm are more comfortable but neither seem to hurt worse during or after pumping. I noticed that I do fill up the 30mm flanges so it probably wouldn't hurt to get rid of my 27mm and go even the next size up.

I went to see my LC today and she recommended diflucan, I took my first dose as soon as I picked it up and can take a second dose next week. I was much more open and honest with her than the times I had met with her (and my doctor). I was more 'pushy' because I need to get this figured out, I am getting desperate...