Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks for co-sleeping

Default Tricks for co-sleeping

Are there any tricks to ensure the baby is eating enough to maintain supply at night while cosleeping? I'm going to start cosleeping again because I consistently slept through my alarm in the middle of the night. I don't know if i wake up and turn it off or what.... but, i would wake up several hours after my alarm allegedly went off and scramble to feed DS. So, i've just been bringing him in bed with me when i go to bed hoping that will be the cure.. since setting an alarm clearly is useless for me. I try to rotate every so often to make sure he eats from each side, but i can't help but feel like he still isn't really emptying me. So, I'm just wondering how I'd know if he's eating enough to maintain my supply. Is this just a wait and see kind of thing?

Also, when i lay on my left side, i get horrible hip pain. I got it at night while pregnant, but it hasn't gone away. Does anyone else experience this? It feels like it dislocates.

Default Re: Tricks for co-sleeping

hi there! i haven't been on here much for a few months so maybe there's a back story that i'm missing. but generally you don't have to do anything special to make sure baby is getting enough, besides just nursing on demand. is there something specific you're concerned about?

re: hip pain - do you have good support in the form of mattress and pillows? between your knees, behind your back, so your body can truly relax?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Here's a link about supply:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/
    How many times during the day and at night is he nursing? Ds wakes 2-4 times on average but he nurses for just 5-10 minutes. He's really efficient about getting the milk and going back to sleep. I had hip and knee pain for 6 months or so after having ds. I agree pillows can make a big difference and also a chiropracter.

He's 7.5mo and nurses 9 times/ day, not including however often he nurses while cosleeping. I guess my concern is not knowing if he's doing enough eating at night. If we don't cosleep, i have to wake up to feed him but can do compressions and taek mental note if my breasts feel softer or not. The problem is, I sleep through my alarm. If we cosleep, the only thing i do is change sides every few hours. I wake up feel significantly less engorged than i would if i had not been cosleeping, so i know he is eating, but how do i know if he's eating enough to maintain supply.

I tried the pillow thing the past few nights and haven't felt too much relief. I'll just keep playing with it until i find some configuration that works.

i still don't get why you need to set an alarm to nurse at night. if you're nursing on demand (which is the best way to maintain supply), then it is normal at some point that baby will start sleeping longer periods, and this is ok. if he's hungry, he'll wake to nurse; if he's not, he won't. what am i missing?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Even though my production seems to be average, my son has never gained well. Sometimes a mere 5oz in a mo. So, part of it is for supply... part of it is for his weight gain. i pump approx 3oz every 2 hours, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. We've always nursed on demand, and this last month (between 6-7months) is the first time his weight gain has ever been "normal" per kellymom. (Feb 25 he was 17lb 13oz and on Mar 21st he was 18lb 13oz... about 3oz per week)

While ideally at night i wouldn't want to go more than 3hours without nursing, it usually ended up being closer to 5 hours.

He also had an undiagnosed ULT and PTT that was corrected at the end of January.... So... there are other things that affected his intake for the first 5.5months or so, but his weight gain continued to be minimal... even after the correction. I'd previously asked here if it was recommended that i get my thyroid checked since DS seems to be gaining so little despite my apparent "average" supply, and it was recommended that i do, but i haven't done it yet.

i also struggle with anxiety, which i'm sure is obvious, and i'm sure doesn't help this situation.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; March 27th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

ok, this makes more sense. so it sounds like you're really worried about ds's weight gain and whether he's eating enough overnight, and not actually so much about your supply. i would say that in general a 5 hour stretch is ok, though if there are continued concerns about his weight, bumping that a little might be a good idea. i don't hear you saying you have any anxiety over cosleeping, so that seems to make a lot of sense for you, since then he can eat whenever he wants all night, which he might need. i do have a small bit of concern that if you're sleeping through your alarm you are not sleeping lightly enough to be safe cosleeping, though perhaps you sleep lighter when he's with you.

side question: when you say you're pumping 2 oz every 3 hours, is that in addition to nursing? or while you're away from ds? are you supplementing him with that 2 oz?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I do sleep much lighter when he's with me. I don't really ever get comfortable, so I feel like I'm constantly awake. And I try to change sides every few hours, though I may try to relax a little about that.

And the 3oz every two hours is what I pump at work. He gets four 3oz bottles at daycare. When I do pump following a feeding I get anywhere from .5-2oz. Depends on how much big sister is distracting him.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I do sleep much lighter when he's with me. I don't really ever get comfortable, so I feel like I'm constantly awake. And I try to change sides every few hours, though I may try to relax a little about that.
    I experienced the same discomfort while pregnant and still struggle with hips, back etc. I work really hard on stretching and strengthening and I see a physical therapist who provides relief through hands on therapy and also specific stretches and exercises to strengthen weak areas. I have found that doing mat Pilates and yoga for the back really help. Here's a video that gives me a lot of relief: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHf1KpmlhQU&sns=em
    For Pilates (and most of my exercise actually) I rely on On Demand workouts from Comcast because I have limited time and I can do them at home. There's a whole exercise channel on demand under sports and fitness. I know Verizon Fios has similar and I believe AT&T uverse does too. If you have no cable or another provider I'm unsure. I'd buy some DVDs in that case.

Net net this is something I have to work hard at every week. I'm often uncomfortable in bed because like a lot of co sleeping moms mi sure, I'm looking out for DD and my comfort comes 2nd. Oh the pins and needles I wake up with sometimes. So much sacrifice in the mom world but our LOs are so worth it.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Exercise is definitely a factor. I haven't done ANY since i was in my first trimester with DS. I would be willing to try out yoga right now. That actually sounds awesome.

and I'm definitely with you... the quality of my sleep definitely comes second to my son's nutrition. I just find myself constantly worried about supply and DS's weight gain. It never ends. I factor those things into everything that we do.... everything. And, I feel guilty saying this, i find that I can't wait for the first year to be over so I can stop worrying about how much DS is getting. I don't plan on weaning at that point but then the numbers aren't as important. Then I can actually start simply enjoying it.

I know it's said that babies primary source of nutrition the first years is breastmilk or formula, does the quantity go down towards the end of the first year? like... from 24-32oz to 18-24 or something? I read that somewhere but can't recall what is said here....